PDA

View Full Version : Hyperchip or Superchip for 5.3 liter?

morgan
10-25-2004, 12:02
I would like to get some "horsepower in a box" for my 2001 Suburban 1500, with 5.3 liter Vortec, auto trans, and 4x4 drivetrain.

both brands make claims. One promises MPG increase, while the other suggests it might help.

Anybody got some advice from using one themselves?

smcghan
10-31-2004, 20:57
Morgan, only have experience with these in 7.3 powerstroke. One neighbor has a 2000 with superchips. He went from 12 mpg to 16. and only using the lowest hp. rating. (60 horse). Another neighbor has 2000 with hyper chips. He has pretty much the exact same results. So its 6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other. I would go with which ever one is the cheapest.

Heartbeat Hauler
11-04-2004, 08:59
Morgan,
I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but I think adding 4.11 gears and or stainless Steel headers and exhuast may be better in the long run and you can still run 87 octane fuel. From what I have been told 27 hp is about all you can reliably get out of the 5.3 PCM and this happens to be what a better breathing exhaust would add. Throw in the 4.11's and you have a pretty strong runner and you will probably get better fuel mileage around town. My brother picked up 1 mpg by going to the 4.11's. He also had PCMFORLESS tune his PCM for better shifts and maintain the 87 octane fuel.
JP

Kennedy
11-04-2004, 10:16
I'd suggest the Superchips over the Hypertech any day. I'd also suggest looking at the Diablo Predator as an EXCELLENT choice.

morgan
11-08-2004, 10:41
HH: Replacing headers and exhaust are probably more than I want to deal with right now. The Suburban is the grocery getter/family car, and doesn't do much hauling. If I can get better performance and efficiency out of a chip, that's what I want to try first.

You are right though, headers probably would be a nice change. With 120,000 miles already, maybe I'll do the headers on the rebuild. I am using Mobil 1, and hope that sad/expensive day doesn't come too soon!

JK: I will look for info on the Diablo now.

HDV-rod
11-10-2004, 08:01
I have the Hypertech and its fine. They don't tune as aggressively as some of the other tuners do, but I don't have to worry about detonation either. ;)

Honestly, Tom at Tbyrne Motorsports will tell you the best band for your buck.

www.tbyrnemotorsports.com (http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com)