PDA

View Full Version : Priming fuel lines

matt67428
10-20-2005, 17:56
I am purchasing an 82 Silverado diesel tomorrow, the owner says it wouldn't start after a friend ran it out of diesel fuel. I'm crossing my fingers here, but a buddy of mine said that the fuel lines are tricky to get primed once they've been emptied like that and that is probably why he's not able to start it back up. Any ideas or suggestions? I've already committed to buying the truck ($500), so hopefully it will be a good deal. Many thanks! Matt

trbankii
10-21-2005, 11:45
Running it out of fuel will create an airlock. Basically you crack all the injector lines open at the injectors and run the pump until fuel starts weeping out. Then tighten everything back down and fire it up.

a5150nut
10-22-2005, 08:48
Matt

After you get it running you may still have a miss or two. Loosen each line again to find the air trapped within. It doesn't take much to cause a miss.

The air acts like a shock absorber and won't allow the injecto to POP or open as it should.

matt67428
10-23-2005, 10:22
Thanks for the help guys...We were finally able to pressurize the tank and force fuel through both filters. Once we got that done, checked a couple of injectors and verified that fuel was getting there. With a fresh pair of batteries, we fired it right up (after it has been sitting for about a year) and I drove it away. The first thing to do now is get the fuel gauge fixed!!