PDA

View Full Version : Brake Performance

Bruce Ostien
08-11-2003, 15:18
I'm a relatively new member and had been using the forum's search feature to get most of my questions answered and was really bummed when the recent crash destroyed the valuable body of work that you people had assembled. Hopefully, it will eventually be able to be rebuilt to its original greatness. Thanks to all contributors.

I've got a 99' old body style 3/4 ton Suburban that I would like to improve the brake performance on. While testing the limits of my brakes I found that after applying a certain amount of pedal pressure, the antilock system takes over causing the brake pedal to drop to the floor. While in this mode, I hear no tire screeching and the vehicle does not stop soon enough (compared to a car). Will installing higher performance pads improve my stopping distance or is the antilock system kicking in because it is already sensing wheel slippage with the existing pads?

Turbofroggy
08-19-2003, 22:34
You might want to check out EGR Brakes:
http://www.egrbrakes.com/
I just put a set of there big calipers on my 1996 Tahoe. I also have a rear disc conversion kit from them that I am having installed next week.
Just the fronts made a huge diffrence in my stopping ability.
Your problem sounds like it might be a ABS related issue though, but your big Suburban will definatly benefit from more heavy duty brakes like these.