PDA

View Full Version : chev 6.2L diesel

Eagle67
12-08-2004, 17:24
hello all. I have been working on a 90 Suburban, that we rebuilt the engine, swe had to redo the rebuild once for failed pistons, this vehicle came back for its 500 mile service today. this thing seem to like blowing out gaskets. when we rebuilt this engine the first time. we replace the Injectors, the external accesaries. and sicve the first rebuid we have also replaced the Injection pump. I also had to reseal the front of the timeing cover where it meets the pan at that time. my question is this has anyone out there exerinced the type of problem, and if what is the main, and the fix for this. because the only thing I can think of the crankcase is pressurizing causing the seals and gaskets to go bad.... this truck has been a nightmare for us

DmaxMaverick
12-08-2004, 22:04
Welcome to the forum, Eagle67..

Have your heads/block been milled?

If so, a thicker head gasket needs to be used to compensate. Stock head gaskets after a milling job won't last long, and may contribute to your crankcase issue. The gaskets can be had in .010" increments, up to .040" over.

It is important to use new "torque to yield" head bolts. They are not reusable. The Fel-Pro kits usually come with new bolts. If you reuse TTY bolts, the clamping force is compromised after a couple heat/cool cycles.

Also make sure the CDR is working properly and not plugged up. Once failed, it will not vent the crankcase properly, and allow excess pressure to develope. If in doubt, replace it.

Good luck