PDA

View Full Version : Another Ignition switch question

lmchugh1
12-08-2004, 17:50
I loosened the bolts at the top of the steering column to drop it down. It lowered about an inch.
I'm able to see the ignition switch I have to replace but it's pretty tight in there. I'm afraid to push the column down anymore because I might break someting. Anyone have any tips?...Thanks...Leon.
& Thanks DmaxMaverick for your help earlier.

DmaxMaverick
12-08-2004, 21:43
Ooh! I'm gonna' have to dig up some old brain cells I haven't used in a while. Bare with me.

You can get the column down quite a bit more by removing some things in the way.

NOTE!!
Almost forgot. If your tranny is auto....
The gear range selector is operated by a string that connects to the column. It is routed to the instrument panel by a little pulley on one side or the other. You will have to unhook the string from the shift collar, or it will break the connection and it won't work later. The indicator needle is spring loaded to "P", and the string pulls it to the range you select. You can pull the column down enough to disconnect it, as it will just pull the indicator closer to "1", just don't let it try to go past "1".
If you have a manual tranny, I just did all that typing for nothing.

If you have delay wipers, the module may be mounted under the column (don't remember fer shur on '82...it may be somewhere else, like in the instrument panel below the headlamp switch), it will be a playing card size thing with aluminum fins and wire connector. Disconnect the plug and unbolt it to get it off, and out of harms way. They're not cheap, and are sensitive. There is also a heater duct in the way. You can remove it by carefully pulling it in the center and pulling the ends out of the other ducts. Being as old as it is, the foam gaskets that seal the duct will probably disintegrate. You can make some more out of foam and glue it in place with some contact cement or double sided tape, or use insulating foam strips that have adhesive on it, if you desire. Make sure all the trim panels are removed. Once every thing is clear, push down on the column, watching carefully for wires and other things in the way, or straining. Watch out for the brake and/or cruise interupt switch(es), which may get in the way. It should give about 6" or so, which should be enough to get even my neandertal hands in there. If it doesn't give any more, you may have to unbolt it from the firewall. I've never had to, but my luck under the dash has been pretty good.

Hope that helps some. It's been a while, but...been there....done that.

lmchugh1
12-09-2004, 05:25
Thanks for the info. I'll try it out...Leon.