PDA

View Full Version : Start whining...

JohnC
12-09-2004, 12:11
I've started to notice a whiring or whining noise, sort of like a gear or bearing noise, maybe tire noise, at low speeds (30 mph and below). (If it were tire noise I think I'd have noticed it a long time ago.)It is speed dependent and seems to be more noticable on decel, although I may just not be able to hear it over he engine on acceleration. It is not noticable at higher speeds, like 40+. I tried coasting with the transfer case in neutral and the trans in park and the engine off, which should stop just about everything except the axles. No change. No change when turning, either (wheel bearings). If I had to guess, I'd guess it's coming from the rear and it is present on accel also.

I've heard similar noises in a lot of other higher mileage trucks, but they weren't mine so I never sweated it. My mileage is about 135,000

Should I sweat it?

(Update. I'm almost certain it's present under acceleration also. Seems to be unaffected by load, too. Only thing I haven't tried is going 20 mph backwards...)

[ 12-09-2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

More Power
12-09-2004, 15:29
I'd think that if it were a bearing (wheel, differential, etc.) the sound would be somewhat load dependent. What about brakes? Does a light pedal pressure change the sound. Are the squeal tabs on the front pads touching the rotors?

MP

Tough Guy
12-09-2004, 15:44
I would have the rear diff serviced...I had a similar thing about two years ago, On accel and decel...I checked everything under the sun, last thing to check was the rear diff and all the bearings were toast! The oil came out looking like mercury!

Cheers

JohnC
12-10-2004, 08:38
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
I would have the rear diff serviced...I had a similar thing about two years ago, On accel and decel...Iall the bearings were toast! Bite your tongue! Actually, in the back of my mind is this little voice saying "pinion bearings". I'm trying not to listen. I actually acquired a G80 carrier for it recently, but I was going to put off installing it till spring....

(Brakes seem to have no effect on the noise, either)