PDA

View Full Version : Axle Swapping, need some pointers (D60 & 14B FF)

john8662
01-10-2005, 07:34
I'm about to do some axle swapping into my 86 4x4 suburban. Right now, the suburban is basically a 1/2 ton K10 with 10 bolt axles underneath it, with factory springs/shocks. I want to swap in a Dana 60 axle and matching 14bolt FF axle into the suburban. I acquired a pretty tired old M1008 with the axles already underneath it. I want to take the axles from the M1008 and install them into the suburban, anyone got any pointers?

My questions, will the springs from the M1008 work in the suburban (look longer)? I would like to use them, as they are pretty beefy, but I will be doing a lift shortly after the install.

Just looking for help before I get in too deep. Thanks!

82beast
01-10-2005, 17:55
First thing you need to ask yourself is do I need 4.56 gears because thats what the cucv come with, If yes I would give them a close inspection, rebuilding if needed.If no I would compleletly rebuild them the gears of your liking(3.73,4.10,ect.) The front springs with work on any k-series truck(same lengths). The rear springs come in two lengths(52" or 56"),k-10's with 52" the k-20/30's with 56". You would have to move the mounts on the frame to use 56" springs on a k-10 truck. Now If you are going the lift the truck I would recommend doing the lift and the rears at the same time to save on time and labor.
Thats my $0.02.

john8662
01-10-2005, 21:06
82Beast,

Yes, I really do need 4.56 gears or a little lower. I want to lift this rig 12" suspension and then add 44's. The front D60 will get a rebuild as its got play on the input shaft, I am little bummed about that. I'll take a closer look to see if I can move the mounts on the frame in the rear, because I probably want 56" springs even when I do the lift. I guess I'll shove the axles in a corner in the shop until I can afford the lift kit, you're right that I should do it the same time.

Whats this 425HP 6.5TD you have in your signature, you've really got my attention! I wanted to do something similar, but seems you've already beat me!

82beast
01-12-2005, 15:22
Getting peoples' attention is something this truck does with ease. The motor is from the Diesel Depot with just about every option they have, from them it is rated at 310hp. I added a few personal touchs one being a liquid intercooler. I dont have any pictures of it together as I am have a new wiring harness made and the truck is in pieces. :eek: Now I know what your thinking and no it does not have nitrous. Yet :D

john8662
01-13-2005, 10:28
82beast,

would you mind shooting me some pics off the board to my email of your engine? I would be really interested in how you came up with the 425 number, have you been on a dyno? my email is:

awesomchevyman at yahoo.com

JoeyD
01-17-2005, 13:51
The rear axle from the cucv has a wider spacing in the spring pads than your burb. For a 12inch lift you need new rear springs and a block front will need new springs. So trash the stock parts.
Another option is to use a smaller lift and run cut out flares. I did a 8 inch lift on a 84 K5 with my brother and we used rear springs out of a 94 chevy 1/2 ton truck, a home made shackle flip and a 4 inch block. I also moved the rear axle back slightly as the lift and shackle flip moved it forward an inch The longer softer springs flex very well. In the front we used 8in skyjacker springs. Next time I would drop the front hangers 2 inches and use a 6in spring to get more flex. It ramps very well for a truck with 44 boggers at close to 1000.