PDA

View Full Version : 98 3500 horrible brakes!

98rammer12v
11-22-2003, 16:00
hey, my dad has a 1998 crew cab dually 4x4 454 now with 48,000 miles on it. i've asked around and can't find any info on this brake problem. we've bled them a million times and taken it to the dealership in which they found nothing wrong. we even put a new master cylinder on it tonight with new performance brake pads- nothing new.

there's about 2" of dead pedal before the brakes start to kick in. after that, it's still extremely spungy. plus, the pedal can go all the way to floor...my dodge can't do that. my friend's chevy's have mushy brakes too, but none this bad. sure, it'll stop, but it's pretty scarey towing a trailer. the ABS also seems to shake the truck rather than slowing it down (like my rear abs does). we also noticed tonight that the ABS doesn't seem to kick in (it work last winter)- fuses are ok, and no check engine/abs light(s) are on.

the only other possible options that i can think of have to do with the booster or the abs system being bad. any ideas :confused:

Tom

DmaxMaverick
11-23-2003, 09:33
98rammer12v

Assuming it has hydroboost, as opposed to vacuum boost assisted brakes, the operation sounds normal. If it is vacuum (which I doubt), all bets are off....

What about braking quality? Does it stop?

If it stops OK, then no worries. It is the nature of the system. The hydroboost system will allow you to force the pedal all the way to the floor with some effort. As far as the 2" dead travel, could be something with the mechanical linkage under the dash. That can be adjusted.

What is the weight of the truck/trailer? There will be a limit of what the truck can safely stop on its own. Perhaps the trailer brakes aren't doing their part.

Give us some more info on this and we'll get it figured out.

plowking35
12-21-2003, 14:06
Sounds like you spent alot of time on the front brakes, how about the rear brakes. In y 98 c&c if the rears ar out of adjustment, the pedal feels spongy. This seems to be the issue with ay of my one tons, gas or diesel.
So if it was me I would adjust the rears till they just start to drag the rum when jacked up.
I think that may help.
Dino