PDA

View Full Version : Buy '95 Burb?

txburb
01-16-2005, 13:58
I've got a chance to buy a 95 burb w/6.5, about 250k mi, exc cond, well maintained, GM replaced IP, maint records etc. for under $6k. My first diesel so I don't have a feel for reliability on the higher mileage 6.5s. Any advice or comment?

More Power
01-18-2005, 13:19
Discovering how well the engine starts after an overnight shut-down will tell you a lot about the glow system, injection system, fuel supply system, engine compression, starter, and batteries. Depending on the overnight low temperature, the engine should start quickly and begin running smoothly soon after starting. There may be some white smoke during startup, but it should quickly disappear as the engine continues to run.

These engines and the vehicles they're in will require some periodic maintenance if the mileage is anything over 100,000 miles. It comes with the territory. To be happy with an older GM diesel you should be willing to do some or most of this maintenance (including the fuel injection system) or you could be disappointed with the cost of hiring a diesel mechanic.

Do your best to have someone experienced with the GM diesels evaluate this potential truck purchase for you. Their experience with the correct engine running characteristics will be invaluable. A diesel engine makes noise. Being able to evaluate good and bad noises comes with experience.

While this doesn't apply in your situation, the 1994 and newer electronic 6.5 diesels now have an 11-year or 120,000 mile fuel injection pump warranty. This is a no-cost transferable warranty that covers just the fuel injection pump, its component parts and its replacement.

A membership with The Diesel Page will also help you enjoy your "new" diesel and will save you considerable expense in maintenance.

MP