PDA

View Full Version : particulate traps

Diesel Dude
01-23-2006, 18:41
I hear that 07 all light and heavy diesel powered trucks will require particulate traps . these emissions devices will raise the cost of a pickup truck by 4 Gs.

D-max Man
01-24-2006, 08:42
Not only will it raise the cost of the truck but they also require perodic cleaning which will raise the cost of maintenance.

If proper maintenance is not followed, they can plug up and overheat. This can even lead to vehicles catching fire.

Don't you just love the government messing with our trucks.

Pretty soon the air comming out the tail pipe will be cleaner that what goes in the intake! :eek:

farmboy1989
06-12-2006, 16:14
Im not exactly sure of what this trap is other than a glorified filter or muffler. Im sure that there is some sort of sensor on it to detect taht is there and i imagine the vehicle wont run if you remove it but if it was metal and me i would find a buddy with a plasma cutter and slice it open and cut all that crap out and weld that piece of metal back on.Show the epa that they cant stop us diesel guys from blowing black smoke. Now, does anyone know anything about this filter or watever it is?..I have been reading my heavy duty trucking magazines and all 07 highway semi engines require this filter also.Gov wants to take all the fun out of everything.

rat4go
06-14-2006, 04:45
Pretty soon the air comming out the tail pipe will be cleaner that what goes in the intake! :eek:

This is already true with gas motors when running in L.A. where the air sux-the vehicles actually CLEAN the air when running.

I read somewhere that with new vehicles, the only way you'd die by letting it run in your garage while you're in it is because the combustion uses up the oxygen, not because of the exhaust gasses. Go figure....

Rich

DWRAT
06-15-2006, 18:04
I hear that 07 all light and heavy diesel powered trucks will require particulate traps . these emissions devices will raise the cost of a pickup truck by 4 Gs.

I don't think it will raise the truck price much at all let alone 4Gs.
Dan

trbankii
06-16-2006, 05:01
Not that I condone the level of government intervention in our lives we seem to be facing, but on the other hand you have to admit that this is one of the prices we pay for the sheer number of vehicles on the road - ten times the number of vehicles and you need to cut emissions to 1/10 if you want the same air quality...

turbolover
07-04-2006, 13:19
hey we don't know for sure what the cost increase will be but 4 g's sounds good coming from a sales person trying to make the 06 look like a better deal.

Dimsdale
07-04-2006, 18:38
Bear with me, as I am doing this from memory.

Being currently employed at a Ford dealership (don't ask: I am a victim of circumstances!), I can tell you that Ford has been building Diesels like crazy, as it is the build date and not the model year that will determine what emission controls must be mounted on the vehicle. I hear that build dates after midnight 12/12/06 will be the ones that get whacked with the new stuff. GM is apparently doing the same thing. We got a notice that current 07's coming off the truck do NOT need to use ULSD.

The particulate traps will require cleaning via a very high temperature cycle where fuel is actually injected into the trap, raising temps to 1800 deg. F. to burn out the trapped particualtes. Some are saying 500 miles is the cycle turnaround, but that might be some manufacturer scare tactics.

The use of the ULSD, combined with the need to do this periodic cleaning will reduce the realized fuel efficiency by a significant amount. This, and the added amount that the equipment will cost, will make Diesel more expensive than it needs to be.

I will try to get some hardcopy to give more reliable details on what the word is at the dealerships.