PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades and Maintenance questions

nvmtnlion
11-18-2004, 12:11
Okay, after much reading and searching I have some questions about the order of doing the upgrades to my new baby. It is a 1994 6.5 LD (Nevada checks for the EGR and cat so I am stuck with them) with 98K on the clock and here is the order I think I am going to do upgrades and maintenance in, Please feel free to chime in with ideas, advice, etc:

1. 97+ cooling upgrade (since I am going to have the water pump off, should I do the timing chain?)

2. Glow plugs and injectors (When I have the manifold off I will remove the extra webbing around the EGR so it can breathe)

3. Gauges: Boost and Pyro (anything else?)

4. Exhaust (either a 3.5 or 4") Is the ceramic crossover a good idea and worth the money? Or, should I look into the downpipe or both?

5. Chip and turbo master.

6. Water injection (I worked with Gas Turbines that were water injected and they were fine, so I think this will be the way I go instead of intercooling)

I really appreicate any and all advice or ideas. This forum is the greatest.

cruzer
11-18-2004, 12:35
If it were me,

1 exhaust and gauges, Pyro/EGT/Trans. From what
I've read there is minimal performace from a new crossover. You will get good performance from a mandrel bent downpipe and at least a 3.5" exhaust.

2 cooling w/chain or gears. also don't forget to spray out the rad/conderser and oil cooler fins from the inside out. Use distilled water when you add A/F. It can be bought at the grocery store.

Beyond that I don't know. You can check glow plugs. If they are any thing other than 60Gs or quick heats I'd replace.

Cleaning up the intake is good too. Maybe port match the intake and head ports. Just a thought,while your there.

Your heading the right direction. Good Luck,
Ken

catmandoo
11-18-2004, 14:33
yes on the gauges,and also the t-chain,but if you can afford it go with the gears,and yes on mandrel bent downpipe and big ex,don't know how much a ceramic crossover will help,but i just took my stock one and wrapped it with thermotech to keep heat in the pipe.and i know kennedy suggests trying the chip first on the 94-95,you might not even need the turbomaster!!!this is something i have to do yet.

DmaxMaverick
11-18-2004, 15:28
A suggestion on the exhaust....

Get your hands on a Duramax take-off that has a cat. They don't seem to restrict the Duramax much, so the 6.5L probably wouldn't even feel it. I know of several guys here that have replaced their cat equipped exhaust with aftermarkets, and would probably sell the pipes pretty cheap.

I will be upgrading my Duramax exhaust soon, and the take-off will immediately be replacing the OEM '95. My '01 doesn't have a cat, but the '95 does (did).

nvmtnlion
11-18-2004, 20:01
Thanks for the advice! Will the Dmax exhaust fit on my 94?? My truck is an extended cab shortbed 4x4.

I am absolutely amazed at this site and forum, However all the horror stories tend to make me paranoid! smile.gif

Dihrdbowti
11-19-2004, 22:50
Hey nvmtnlion I did cooling mods, oil cooling lines, gauges, then exhaust. Not planning on too much more as I am only rated to tow 7-7.5K and I'm short wheel base. I'm mainly in it for the MPG. I actually did my glow plugs first because I had to the connections to all but two were rusted comepletely off. I think I have your email so maybe sometime we can hook up and I can show you what I have done.