PDA

View Full Version : Getting a rebuilt 4L80E what should i get to prolong itself after it is installed?

Shaun091382
10-04-2003, 18:27
Hi i am getting a rebuilt 4l80e installed soon and was wondering what is recommended i add to go along with this new tranny? i have a B&M electronic shiftplus shift kit but i am weary to install it on a fresh rebuild tranny any ideas on coolers or shift kits? anything? thanks

Uncle Wally
10-04-2003, 22:44
Heat kills trany's. You can use a larger pan for extra capacity and an additional oil cooler. Those two things will help out alot. Synthetic fluid is mice, buts it's expensive.

Waldo

tanker
10-05-2003, 17:16
Shaun, I have 137,000+miles on my 4l80E transmission, many of which are towing miles in hot weather, without a problem. Why? I keep it cool, heat will destroy almost anything. I have 4 coolers, a 12-Volt fan cooler, plus a large 12"x15" Hayden air cooler, the factory radiator cooler and the factory air cooler in front of the radiator. I change my fluid once a year, (all 17 quarts) and for the past 3 years I've been using "Amsoil" synthetic ATF. I tow in OD as well. I just weighed my rig today at a "Flying-J" scale and I gross 18,220 lbs truck and trailer. I also monitor trans temps with gauges. You take care of it, and it will take care of you. smile.gif

damork
10-06-2003, 09:41
I've always used TransGo Shift Kits in the past but another company I see many shops using parts from is Sonnax. You can check out their products at www.sonnax.com, (http://www.sonnax.com,) look at the transmission specialties area. A lot of their products address the same issues as TransGo kits do. The shops I spoke to said their products are good quality and they state the support from Sonnax is better than TransGo. I got one of their catalogs and they really offer a lot for many automatics.