PDA

View Full Version : 18:1 Engine 1500 mile update

Hansh
08-09-2005, 14:06
I have passed the break in miles of the Penisular 18:1 engine. Went to Rock Island, IL and towed a 3500 - 4000 lb (guesstimate) barge/tritoon boat about 400 miles (200 one way) over the weekend. The truck pulls like I expected. The sweet spot appears to be at about the 2000 rpm range and 6 psi of boost. Changed oil to 15W40 Amsoil synthetic before trip.

Here is an update:

Towing boat at 65 mph, about 90 degrees outside.
Coolant temp never went over 190
Oil temp (before cooler) never went over 250
Boost was about 7 psi plus or minus depending on road, etc. Went up to 14 once while getting on highway ramp (it really wanted to go! but I let off when I saw the boost gauge). Kept it under 10 climbing hills, and passing.
EGT never went over 800 and mostly stayed at about 500 - 600. (preturbo temp)
Fuel mileage was just a tick under 15 mpg

Unloaded at 65mph
Coolant temp never exceeds 190, mostly hangs under 180.
Oil temp, (before cooler)ranges 220 - 240
Boost stays about 4 psi plus or minus
EGT usually about 300 - 500
Fuel mileage just over 18 mpg. (measured on first tankful, which included prebrake-in miles and some idling while fixing AC)

New problems not engine related.
1.Appears my glow controller is not working right - stays on too long, and then after turning ignition switch to start, glow controller comes on again, and pulls battery down too low to crank starter. Disconnected controller and the truck starts. Cleaned all the connections two weeks ago, because controller did not come on. Checked internally and all appears connected and good. I guess a new one is in order. !#^!>%$. It would do this once in a great while with the old engine. Any recommendations on a new one?

2. Fitting on remote dual oil filter mount, or the dual filter mount has an oil leak. Filters are tight and no leaks at seals.

tom.mcinerney
08-09-2005, 16:37
HH ,
Good job, and good fortune.
>>2. Fitting on remote dual oil filter mount, or the dual filter mount has an oil leak. Filters are tight and no leaks at seals.

Beware the castings are liable to occasasional cracks/porosity, might become catastrophic...

In your log you list "oil temperature". Is this auto transmission, or engine lube oil??

Hansh
08-10-2005, 11:46
The oil temp is engine oil. The truck is a 5 speed manual.

Just filled up again and mileage was 19 mpg.

Marty Lau
08-12-2005, 11:39
Originally posted by HH:
The oil temp is engine oil. The truck is a 5 speed manual.

Just filled up again and mileage was 19 mpg. pretty darn good MPG for a one tone truck.!!!
Sound like you got great setup hope it last you good long time.

Hansh
08-12-2005, 12:12
I always laugh at my friends with their small 6 & 8 cyl. SUVs which they can barely get 18mpg out of!

I believe I will have this set up for a long time. That was my plan when I decide to go with the 18:1 Peninsular engine.

Yes, I try to have a light right foot, it seems to make a difference in mileage and parts durability. Some people say I drive like a grandma!