PDA

View Full Version : WAIT TO START "BLINK"

FLSTSS
03-16-2005, 12:49
When I turn the key the "wait to start" light comes on. After it goes off I turn the key and the truck starts. then the "wait to start" light blinks for about 7 flashes and stops. Also I just turned the key the light came on after it went off I didn't start, just waited and the light flashed 7 times. does anyone know whats going on here? Is it a problem or a glitch?

Thanks

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
03-16-2005, 14:12
Are you new to these trucks? Maybe I'm just not sure what you're trying to describe, but it sounds normal to me. I've never noticed how many times mine will flash if I don't actually start the truck. It's normal for the glow system to "cycle" several times after a start.

FLSTSS
03-16-2005, 15:01
Mike,
thnaks for the info. the WTS light blinks right after the start or if I don't start it.
Scott

I Roll
03-16-2005, 19:10
I've noticed the same situation with my truck. The WTS light flashes 7 times after it initially goes out. It only does this when it's cold start.

I typically wait to start the truck until after the WTS light goes out after the flashing stops. One other thing that I noticed was that during the time the WTS light flashes I hear another electronic component working. I've never opened the hood to check it out, I just figured it was the fuel pump. It does stop at the same time the WTS light stops.

charliepeterson
03-16-2005, 19:44
The "clicking" you're hearing under the hood is the glow plug controller. it's located in the middle of the engine at the rear, slightly towards the drivers side. This rather large box feeds all the glow plugs and controls the WTS light in the dash.

Marty Lau
03-17-2005, 10:44
When it's cold this is a normal situation it's called after glow. The ECM calls for the glow plugs to come on for a short times to help in the engine warm up and and to help it keep running.

Robyn
03-31-2005, 16:52
I have two 94 Suburbans and they both will cycle the glow light one extra time after initial start.

trbankii
09-13-2005, 05:26
Originally posted by charliepeterson:
The "clicking" you're hearing under the hood is the glow plug controller. it's located in the middle of the engine at the rear, slightly towards the drivers side.I was searching for some information on the glow plug controller just to come up to speed on this "new to me" '93 I bought.

Just to confirm on the "clicking" noise - I turn the key to get the glow plug light, wait for it to go out, at the end of its cycle the light blinks and there is the "clicking" noise half a dozen to a dozen times in rapid succession and then stops and the light goes out. Turn the key the rest of the way and it starts up. That is normal?

charliepeterson
09-14-2005, 18:08
The glow plug controller has a very large coil to supply very large amounts of amperage to the glow plugs to help start the engine. This coil "clicking" is what you're hearing.

The signal for duration is coming through the ECM from the engine coolant sensor. If you have some burnt glow plugs and it's really cold outside unplug the sensor and the GP cycle is very long. This should get the truck running as long as not too many GP's are burnt.

Before it gets too cold check out the GP's. If any are burnt I would pull them all out. It's no fun working on the truck when the temps. are in minus numbers!

trbankii
09-15-2005, 03:11
Will pull the glow plugs this weekend to check things out. Thanks for the reply! The "rapid fire" clicking at the end just sort of seemed a bit unusual and didn't necessarily seem like a good thing.

rjschoolcraft
09-15-2005, 03:44
trbankii,

Your 93 is very different from the 94 and up trucks. Charlie referred to the PCM in his post and it is what controls the glow plugs on the newer trucks. There is a relay under the hood, but the control is in the PCM. On the older trucks, there is a control box under the hood that handles the glow plugs. There are good write-ups on these systems in the reprint volumes. I'd recommend a read through.

trbankii
09-15-2005, 09:17
Thanks for the clarification Ron. I'm working my way through the back issues, reading up on everything. I guess the simple question is "Is the 'rapid fire' of the relay an issue or not?"

JohnC
09-15-2005, 10:02
Originally posted by trbankii:
"Is the 'rapid fire' of the relay an issue or not?" I don't recall my '93 ever doing that. Can't really see what would cause it, unless maybe the batteries are really weak, but I'd expect you'd have starting issues if that were the case.

trbankii
09-15-2005, 13:32
Basically, turn the key, light goes on. Wait for light to go off. As it goes off, light blinks and click-click-click-click... fast for about five to ten seconds. I can either wait for the clicking to stop and then turn the key the rest of the way or turn the key while it's clicking. Either way it fires right up. Of course it is currently in the 80s and 90s around here. If I don't wait for the clicking to stop it keeps clicking while it cranks and starts.

I've had it for two weeks now and have not had too much time to play around with it yet. I'm not driving it as it needs a few things before I can get it to pass inspection. This weekend I'll check out the batteries and glow plugs and go from there.

bobt
09-15-2005, 20:31
Hi, I've had my '93 since new and I have not heard at any time the clicking noise you are having. I have used three different glow plug controllers and none of them made any noise. I don't think your clicking is a normal part of the starting process.
Bob

trbankii
09-17-2005, 17:45
Been reading through the past articles. Nothing is mentioned about the "clicking" issue. Going to pull the controller tomorrow and take a look at things.