PDA

View Full Version : power steering pump question....

Dvldog 8793
08-09-2005, 23:00
Howdy
The PS pump on my 99 is starting to "growl" I'm assuming that's where the sound is coming from as I can feel it on the cap and I don't seem to be having any other accessory problems. No PS problems either, just the noise so far. Anyway, has anyone replaced the PS pump with anything other than GM? are there any tricks? Any high perf pumps? Any synthetic fluids?
Thanks in advance!
L8r
Conley

DChristie
08-10-2005, 03:50
Greetings!

I'm not sure where to start in answering your question... My steering pump would growl at me too, turned out to be bone dry, with no apparent leaks any where. I'd add fluid and it would be fine for several weeks then go to grumbling again.

I finally found the leak when I rear-ended a feller in his new mustang... :D He cut me off and I had nowhere to go but up his tailpipe. :mad: I mashed the breaks, the pedal went to the floor and "kicked" back once...

I can still hear Rowdy Yates singing; Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' keep them diesels rollin' Cut me off, run him down, MusTANG!!!!.... No damage to my truck :D :D

I digress,

the source of the leak and subsequent growl was the hydrabooster. I ordered a new one and swapped it out. My life has been beer and skittles ever since. smile.gif

IIRC there was some difficulty finding the booster because they were back-ordered everywhere I looked. The swap is easy and only takes a few hours. Clean your floorboards before you start, b/c you will spend some time there standing on your head. :rolleyes:

The one time I pulled the PS pump I didn't completely remove it (Hoses were still attached)It was a greasy mess with one bolt "deep" under the bottom side of the block. no visual access only braille. :cool:

You may want to investigate more to determine the source of the problem, but be mindfull of losing emergency stopping power in the meantime. :eek:

DChristie

Hubert
08-10-2005, 04:21
Here is a suggestion look at 4x4 specialty stuff. They do make high performance pumps. One good search string is "super box 2". They have a companion better pump for the improved saginaw steering box.

My thinking: there are hydraulic driven winches for off road trucks. The pumps good for those may be good for our hydroboost setup.

Here is one link: http://www.sams4x4store.com/specialty.htm A super box gear and pump and upgrade.

I have seen synthetic fluid and coolers for the power steering pump.

landrea
08-11-2005, 17:36
Hey guys,GM has a recall for power steering pumps on some 6.5's You might check with the dealer first.I know because I got my letter from GM a few weeks ago.

Dvldog 8793
08-11-2005, 17:49
Howdy
Heard about the recall today as I was ordering my Delco pump tongue.gif My truck was not covered. Supposedly some pumps on the older HD trucks had a weak shaft and when turned hard and bumped just right they would come apart.
Oh Well.....
Thanks for the advice everyone!
L8r
Conley

tom.mcinerney
08-11-2005, 17:57
This was posted a year ago:
"when the pump started moaning (no/low fluid) I filled it with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak (http://www.autobarn.net/luc10008.html) and I haven't had a problem since...CDC"

I replaced mine with a (Delphi/)Cardone remanufactured pump core {swapped my reservoir and pulley} ; Helm suggests flush out lines with new PS fluid...if it doesn't remain pretty transparent, then replace ALL flexible hoses in the circuit.

A probably good source for OEM new hydroboost:
http://www.hydroboost.com/
Email: info@hydroboost.com
Telephone (586)427-6970
Snail Mail/Shipping Address
Hydratech Braking Systems 26642 Haverhill Warren, MI 48091
Hydratech provides updated[2004] new boosters for $350

CareyWeber
08-12-2005, 02:06
Originally posted by landrea:
Hey guys,GM has a recall for power steering pumps on some 6.5's You might check with the dealer first.I know because I got my letter from GM a few weeks ago. Does anyone have a link to a site that shows what trucks are covered by this recall?

Carey