PDA

View Full Version : New Cranking info...

Dvldog 8793
03-17-2005, 09:58
Howdy
I finally got around to putting the meter on my starting cables and thought I would share the info. These measurements are for my truck and should only be considered approximent for anything else as there are MANY variables that can effect amp draw.

inrush current at 15*F amb temp- 754Amp
cranking current at 15*F amb temp- 510Amp

Same two measurements after the truck sat in my shop overnight 60*F

inrush - 702amp
Cranking- 492amp

Both of these measurements were the result of 10 tests and then averaged.
The small difference in amps vs temp was surprising. Also I am sure that the longer you crank the higher the draw and the less the Bateries can supply. Too many variables to try to figure the slope. tongue.gif
Hope this is good info for someone.
L8r
Conley Janssen

gmctd
03-18-2005, 06:51
Good info - that's with the gear-reduction starter (which sounds to me like a Chrysler product!).

I rebuilt - turned the commutator, new bushings and 6.2 brushes - and used the original 6.2 starter - about the size of the water heater in your house - on my rig.

Think I'll do a comparo, if I can find my DC clamp-on.........

moondoggie
03-18-2005, 09:16
Good Day!

Dvldog 8793: Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya. :D It doesn

tom.mcinerney
03-21-2005, 19:08
Thanks, Dvldog.
I guess the obvious relative difficulty of cranking at 14* reflects the batteries' inefficiency at the low temps, rather than a stiffer engine.
I will dare to bet that a starter without the reduction gear might tell a somewhat different story.
I'm glad that when i replaced my positive driver's side cable i used the old one for a ground direct under a starter mounting bolt, from psgr side batt.