PDA

View Full Version : chassis lube points

woodrous
10-05-2003, 18:30
How many grease points on a 1996 6.5 turbo diesel? I cannot find anything in any manual that locates where they are located and how many (so I know I didn't miss any!)
Thanks
Diana

catmandoo
10-05-2003, 19:27
depends on whether its 2 or 4wd if 2 should be upper & lower ball joints pitman arm and r and l tierods inner and outer and idler arm some of them may be on the top side and you might have to turn the steeringwheel to get to them also u-joints if they have been replaced and the slip joint where the 2 driveshafts come together.if 4wd pretty much the same but you just have another driveshaft in the front and no slip joint to deal with.also in my experience the 4wd don't have grease zerks on the upper and lower ball joints if they are the originals.

Kidd
10-05-2003, 19:45
My 98 K3500 has grease zerks on top and bottom ball joints...

K.D.

Shad
10-06-2003, 01:18
Dont forget the Idler arm... I have seen alot of people forget it. I have replaced a couple of fittings with 90 deg for ease of lubing. my 2-cent

StephenA
10-08-2003, 05:24
What's the best grease to use & how often?

bnmccoy
10-08-2003, 13:33
My 95 K2500 (light duty) has zerks on both upper and lower ball joints.

You have to drop the skid plate to get to one of the zerks for the idler arm. This would be the zerk for the shaft rotating in the frame mounted housing.

Many lube shops do not take the time to drop the skid plate to get access to this zerk.... diesel or gas burner. I warned one coworker to watch when he took his in to a lube shop; sure enough they skipped it, but he set them straight.

I lube my own...

Bob