PDA

View Full Version : what fuel additive??

Shad
10-06-2003, 01:12
It is getting cold here in Wisconsin and was wondering what fuel additive to use and where is the best place to order/buy from. So far I am interested in the stanadyne products, is there some others compareable? I am looking for a yearound product to buy by the case.
Thanks Shad G

BuffaloGuy
10-06-2003, 07:19
I use DS (Diesel Service) year-round. I find it at Wal-mart or most truck stops. I have a little bottle for measuring the proper amount and I use it according to label instructions with good success. No gelling etc.

Since this is your first diesel in the winter I'll give you a few tips. I hope I'm not telling you something you already know. If so, sorry!

Make sure that you fill up with diesel that is labeled "winter blend". The refineries will mix the diesel so it won't gel. HOWEVER, it is still best to add the fuel additive AND (this is very important):

"If the weather has taken a quick turn for cold, or you suspect that your gas station may not have sold much diesel lately, the fuel they are selling may NOT be blended for the cold you are in!!" If you supsect this is the case follow label instructions to get anti-gel protection from your fuel additive OR mix #1 diesel and #2 diesel to a 50/50 ratio to blend your own. If you suspect temps near 0F run straight #1.

I'm sure someone has a chart that will show the correct mixing ratio's of #1 and #2 for the expected temp. Perhaps some one could post it? I'd like to print it and put it in my glove box.
Ken

[ 10-06-2003, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: The Buffalo Guy ]

StephenA
10-06-2003, 07:44
A lot of folks use John Kennedy's additive with extra cetane - www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)
I also heard the Lucas makes one that is really good for high mileage injection pumps, though I haven't been able to find it.
I've been running Power Service cause it's cheap at Wally World' and it really helps. I'd like to try JK's extra cetane stuff...

Shad
10-08-2003, 08:18
Just bought some diesel service today at wally-world thanks

StephenA
10-10-2003, 04:02
How is Diesel Service differnt from Power Service?

rjschoolcraft
10-10-2003, 04:31
I use Stanadyne Performance Formula year round. I buy it by the case either over the internet or at Turbo and Diesel Injection in Indianapolis.