PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Swap for 72 Chevy

Uncle Wally
07-08-2005, 14:44
Hey guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this one.

I am starting the collection phase of parts for putting a 12/24V in my 72 3/4. I know there are a few of us out there that have done the swap in newer trucks, but has anyone done this?

I want to use it as a driver and a pulling truck. The idea is 1000 ftlb engine backed by NV4500, NP205, D60 F, D80 R.

Anyone have any info on this? What I am looking for is where I can find out what I need to do get that kind of performance out of the Cummins (it should be fairly easy from what I have been told), what I need to upgrade in the NV4500 to handle it. The physical swap should be fairly easy although finding mounts might be a challenge (I guess I could fab something up)

Feedback?

Thanks,
Uncle Wally

DChristie
07-13-2005, 14:41
Uncle Wally,

If you don't yet have the engine yet, get the 24v. I'm not certain what the hp rating (220ish??)is but it is awesome as diesels go. I had the '98 12v and test drove the '98 24v once. I want one so bad... but the funds aren't there yet.
I'b be concerned about the weight of the cummins, 1000 or 1100 lbs.
I have no idea if the trans you've selected will hold up or not I'd bet it will.
Keep us informed
DChristie

Uncle Wally
07-14-2005, 16:57
I've looked into it a little bit as time has allowed.

From what I gather - the 12V is mechanically injected and the 24v is electronic. I'm looking at staying mechanically injected. The swap would be much easier. Although, I would consider it if there was a mechanical pump for the 24v. That I don't know. In theory the 24v should flow more air. Now the trick is getting enough fuel to use that air. Pullers seam to have it down. But I'm not sure what these guys are running for mods. My understanding is that a 12v with a fuel plate, turbo housing and exhaust is worth about 400 rwhp. And that sounds perfect for my application, especially since it's less than 1000 green backs to get there. (considering you already have the ride)

Till later,

Waldo

tom.mcinerney
07-27-2005, 16:04
Mechanical injection could be smart move...I declined buying a '96 F*** PS because its' fuel system ran $5000.

Is the 3/4 ton frame adequate...might want strenghthen it before hand.