PDA

View Full Version : IAT climbs at idle?

DA BIG ONE
08-11-2005, 07:30
Engine temp stays a steady 198 deg at idle and IAT climbs to about 180 deg I think because of radiant heat flowing over the IC pipe to intake, so, I'm thinking some type of heat barrier will help. I see blanket devices, and ceramic coating any of you can suggest which, or?

The pipe from the IC to intake runs up the front of motor and is exposed to hot air flowing over it from clutch fan on water pump.

DmaxMaverick
08-11-2005, 07:36
That's absolutely normal, and unlikely you will be able to effect it much, if any. When idling, the engine compartment doesn't get any fresh air, except through the radiator. Your intake, even if you have a "cold air" intake, will pick up the heated air from the engine compartment and other heat soaked components. Insulating your intake plumbing may help when you are moving, but will do very little at idle. Any gains you might get won't be worth the effort, and nothing will suffer from leaving it as it. 180

Hubert
08-11-2005, 10:08
Maybe more so not enough air flow across intercooler heat exchanger at idle to do any real cooling. So its like not having an intercooler at all and temps rise.

Kind of like how A/C (w/R134) does not chill very much sitting still but once you are moving it works fine.

DA BIG ONE
08-11-2005, 11:16
Then I'll leave it alone.....

Thanks fellas!

Billman
08-11-2005, 11:47
I wrapped the pipe that comes from the Intercooler to the Intake with a thin 'Aluminum' Tape.

I don't have comparable data, but didn't think it would hurt.