PDA

View Full Version : Injector Installation Tips

Chris611
03-17-2005, 16:02
Hey guys, just got done replacing my injectors and figured I would share some thoughts. Prior to changing the injectors, I searched this site and found every article I could, but nothing educates a person like doing it yourself. I ended up doing the drivers side last fall and never got to the pass. side. To do the pass. side, I had a 30mm deep well impact socket. I had to take some length out of the center by cutting the socket and welding it back together. The length after it was cut was 2.75" This worked well for the #4, #6 & #8 injectors. Those clips were also no fun. I fought them for awhile and then out of frustration I took a utility knife and cut the hose off at the end of the barb. It leaves a short section of the tube and the clip on the injector. I was able to slip the socket over the injector with the tubing and clip still attached. With only one tube attached the socket went on very easy. On the #8 injector I had cut both the tube and the cap. The socket fits snuggly and you have to push and turn to get it to engage, but it isn't too bad (better than fighting the clips. This helped out a lot. I also then put the new cap on the injector before I installed it, so I didn't have to fight the clip once the injector was installed. I used JK's clip-less tubing and had to cut them to length, but very easy to put on. Hope this helps some who have not yet experience the joy of injector replacement. Anyone want to add some tips for the next guys that searches for injector installation tips?

Chris

Shad
03-17-2005, 16:56
Thanks Chris I'll be doing mine this weekend.

Iain
03-18-2005, 05:57
I had a lot of fun doing mine. It was more work getting to the passenger side injectors than I thought. I found that you can take the turbo and passenger side exhaust out as one piece IF YOU ARE CAREFUL. 1. the combination is heavy and 2. there is not a lot of wiggle room. This saves having to unbolt the turbo from the exhaust manifold which I thought was a little ackward.

The exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe bolts are easy to rattle off with an impact and a long extension (or two shorter ones). You can get a good number of the manifold bolts as well with the impact.

As with everyone else, getting the clips of was difficult, but I managed to get them all off carefully and did not damage any tubing. I found using needle nose pliers (both straight and 45 degree) made the job somewhat bearable. Even still, the occasional swearing was heard by my wife in the house!

When you put them back on, put the clips on the tubing and then push it on as an assembly. This is easier than trying to fight the clips again.

Coat the threads of the injectors with a little bit of anti seize compound (makes them easier to get out next time).

Make sure you clean around the injector area prior to taking them out to prevent dirt/junk from entering the cylinder. Once it is in there it is hard to get it out!

ALways always install new 60G glow plugs at least on the passenger side as these are a real bear to get at once everything is buttoned back up again.

Thats all I can remember for tips. Good luck! smile.gif

Shad
03-20-2005, 17:00
Thanks again guys, I changed mine out today and it was not that bad. I removed the turbo and used Chris's advice on installing the return lines on #7&#8 before installing the injector. It was a pain to get the band clamp back on on the down pipe from the turbo, needed a third hand. Starterd up after a few cranks and drove about 100 miles today.