PDA

View Full Version : Marine injectors or not?

RT
08-11-2005, 14:33
Hello All,
The 93 needs injectors and the pump is getting tired too. Planning on a local rebuild of the pump with 5% fuel increase over stock. Trying to decide if marine injectors are worth it or not. The truck is lightly modded and driven every day for work. Looking into a homebrew intercooler in the very near future too. Don't have the cooling mods as the truck has never overheated or run past 210* even when towing. I think I have the only 6.5 ever made that doesn't run hot.... Anyhoo, is it worth the money for marine injectors on the old girl? Almost forgot to add, 221K on the motor. Thanks, RT

[ 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: RT ]

DA BIG ONE
08-12-2005, 02:42
I went w/30 % larger high pops after I have installed Heaths maxitorq program.
I found w/the stock injectors at 12 psi boost everything to include EGT stayed in safe zone. After installing high pops egt's climbed like crazy and motor requires at minimum 16+ psi boost to stay in safe zone. 20+ psi it is an animal and runs even cooler, but I wonder how long motor would last at this pressure? So, 16+ is my # for now.

Kennedy
08-12-2005, 04:21
I'm not sure what 30% over injectors for the 6.5 are available or who made the claim, but I'd be skeptical. There's a wide range of price on the high flow high pop units and there is likely good reason...

Billman
08-12-2005, 04:26
30% difference in Pop Pressure?

You're claiming higher EGT's but that would be because of increased fuel, not higher atomization, No?

16 - 20 boost. No Intercooler?

With all the Add-ons you've done, An Intercooler should be you're next project.

On Edit: On Second Look, I see your IC.

Dvldog 8793
08-12-2005, 04:43
Howdy
I noticed an increased "crispness" or snap with JK's high-pop injctors. That was about 100kmiles ago. I am not sure what he runs for pop preasure but I think it was around 2200psi? anyways, I have a set of Bosch Marine injectors($65 ea) that I got locally sitting on the bench waiting for another 10k or so miles. It will be intersting to see what difference there is. I keep my boost at around 15psi max and it never runs hot and is pretty strong(walks all over any big block gassers, MAYBE a stock DMAX???) I think the injectors that I have are Higher flow and pop at 2100psi. I would do it again as I think the gains(with the mods you already have) would be worth it.
Hope this helps !
L8r
Conley

DA BIG ONE
08-14-2005, 16:01
Originally posted by kennedy:
I'm not sure what 30% over injectors for the 6.5 are available or who made the claim, but I'd be skeptical. There's a wide range of price on the high flow high pop units and there is likely good reason... So, I guess best way to find out what size they really are is a tech 2, or?

Kennedy
08-15-2005, 06:34
The only way to know the delivery is to run them on a pump with a fixed delivery rate and measure volume delivered, then compare to new std OEM units. This will fall far short from 30% unless someone has modified the nozzles, and then nobody knows for sure what is going to happen.

Some day I hope to have a good candidate for dyno testing my injectors. Until then we can only go by what our testing of the individual injector delivery has shown and what a stock programmed truck with my injectors does compared top another with OE injectors. I believe RJ baselined at 180-ish which is up there pretty good...

rjschoolcraft
08-15-2005, 08:26
188 to be exact...

See the data here (http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/index_files/Page414.htm).

DA BIG ONE
08-15-2005, 11:30
Originally posted by kennedy:
The only way to know the delivery is to run them on a pump with a fixed delivery rate and measure volume delivered, then compare to new std OEM units. This will fall far short from 30% unless someone has modified the nozzles, and then nobody knows for sure what is going to happen.
Ok, you got my attention, someone did indeed modify the injectors I'm using and now I'm thinking using them is not such a good idea. Perhaps, I need to take em to Stanadine for the low down.

As I noted in an earlier post on this topic when I crank up the boost to say 20+ after IC there is a substantial increase in performance with egt's running much lower. My GM-8 is at it's limit at 20+ psi, or?

I'd hate to think $600. was wasted, but a short/long block is alot more.