PDA

View Full Version : 1995 6.5 TD leaking heads

shanebob
11-21-2004, 12:50
at 145,ooo mile had both heads replaced due to water consumption and white smoke. truck run great but after on 150 miles afetr repair I have antifreeze and oil on my shop floor, work done by reputable mechanic, could I have gotten 2 warped heads or maybe not tourqed properly? should have used new head bolts? heads were rebuilt heads purchased from local machine shop that had been welded he said.Is this a common way to repair them? driverside head is leaking at rear of engine between head and block,passengerside head who knows to much stuff in way but oil and antifreeze both on floor on that side.Mechanic did say that he used thread paste to keep bolts from leaking as they go into waterjacket. Any help appriciated.

chickenhunterbob
11-21-2004, 15:49
You are supposed to use new head bolts, they are "torque to yield" (I think that is the corect term) bolts, which means they stretch a bit when the final 90- 100 degree torque is applied, and are not elastic, so should not be re-used.

Although. after 150 miles, I doubt if that is your problem.

bob

Hye
11-22-2004, 02:58
Its easy to get thread paste on the gasket surface, making a head gasket leak more likely. New bolts come with the stuff already on the threads and its not likely to get onto the gaskets. Check for a cracked block while you have it apart.
Also read "Block warranty & coolant loss" post.