PDA

View Full Version : Throwout bearing/ Concentric Slave?

Hubert
06-29-2005, 08:14
I just replaced my flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and slave/throwout bearing. What a job! The clutch works fine but I have a little problem. I got a brief thump thump thump noise while in 2nd gear rolling along down driveway going for test drive. And now I get a clickty noise occasionally. The truck launches smooth and shifts smooth. No noises pedal in revving motor. Transfercase in Neutral I can go thru gears smooth tranny spins down and goes in reverse good. Can drive highway speed and runs normal but occasionally clickity sound.

I used a LUK clutch/pp and flywheel from dial-a-clutch.

However, I used a slave and throwout bearing from Advanced Auto. The back looked just like the OE unit but the throwout bearing looked a little different. A little more mushroomed shape. It looked like a good unit Raybestos packaging by Allparts Tru-torque (R) #SC360058

Bendix#13207, Wagner #F134322.

It looked like the right part at least the face of the bearing had very very similar ID/OD but maybe the mushroom shape interferes with the pp.

I am 99% sure the Advanced Auto bearing is sticking to the pressure plate diaghram "fins"/"fingers" and spun the front of the slave throwout assembly spring etc. I think this causes the clickety noise as without pedal force to stop the bearing it is skidding and sticking on the PP and not being a bearing.

Anyone experience this? I half think this will settle down and be fine as the bearing spins out excess grease and gets more free. I don't want to tear it down if I don't have too. But I probably will its bothering me.

Anything else it could be? Dang! Advanced Auto I should have known better!!!

Hubert
07-11-2005, 07:40
Update:

I had taken my transmission back out to inspect the concentric slave and it appeared fine couldn't even tell it had been on the truck yet. I picked up a new GM one at the dealer and it looked identical to the Advanced Auto one. My apologies to Advanced. So on the advice of a good mechanic I know I have just driven it with the occasional noise.

Turns out I am pretty sure it was the little sheet metal dust cover on the front bottom side of the bellhousing that covers the flywheel. I don't know why and/or if its really bad but my truck has a little harsher vibration at about 2300 to 2600 rpm's and the harmonics caused the sheetmetal to vibrate against the bellhousing. I cut some "cardboard" paper and glued it to the sheetmetal where I thought it rattled and its been quiet for several trips around town no noises like dat dat dat dat (very quick like something in fan blade).

The truck runs fine and the clutch operates like since I have owned it for 50,000 ish miles.