PDA

View Full Version : Can a "BOSE" stereo replace Delco?

captaincrunch
03-18-2005, 05:20
Bought a Bose deck to replace the Delco in my 1996 GMC.

However, I did so without researching the situation. Apparently the Bose Deck only has a pre-amp and so, will not have any volume when plugged directly into the old Delco plugs. It must have a separate Amp. These amp usually mount under the drivers seat.

Did GM offer a Bose System in 1996? If so, would there be wiring there to hook up an amp?

Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram for the stereo/tape/cd for 1996?

I'd like to upgrade to the Bose but don't want to buy an amp if it can't be done.

Thanks for any help.

gmctd
03-18-2005, 06:37
The Delco-Bose system was a complete package, with wiring, hi-output Bose speakers, and everything.

Hit the local boneyards, maybe you'll find the package intact.

markrinker
03-18-2005, 08:22
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=5760177727&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I bet this guy can sell you what you need. Looks small enough to mount up under the dash, too.

JeffsTowTruck
03-21-2005, 20:02
Did GM offer a Bose System in 1996? If so, would there be wiring there to hook up an amp?

I HAVE A 1996 CADDIE SEVILLE STS THAT HAS A BOSE SYSTEM IN IT..BOUGHT A USED RADIO ON E-BAY FOR IT. THE SPEAKERS IN THE DOORS HAVE THEIR OWN BOX THAT IS HUGE. --- SOUNDS GOOD!!!!!
CAN'T TELL YOU IF IT WAS AVAILABLE FOR A TRUCK. BUT YOU MIGHT GET A USED SOMETHING OUT OF A CADDIE TO FIX YOURS.

gmctd
03-22-2005, 03:36
The Delco-Bose system has been a GM factory option package since mid-80's

catmandoo
03-22-2005, 05:08
i've had bose systems for years,still have an old 1401 set-up.the thing about bose is they use huge wire and you have to have it,thing about my old 1401 was the speakers were the same ones used in the 901 house speakers.had that set-up in my 65 impala with an old and i mean old brown faced alpine,and that sounded fantastic,that system in any other car just never sounded the same.

Shuck
03-22-2005, 11:33
All,

GM has been selling Bose systems as an option in their cars since the early 80's but they are NOT all the same. Part of the Bose system is that each one is custom designed and tuned for that particular car model.

If you are really serious about putting that Bose deck into your current truck, you have a few options.

1) go to a junk yard and find a system from an old body style Escalade or Denali and try to modify it so you can mount it in your truck. System means EVERYTHING - wiring harnesses, amps, speakers, and speaker enclosures.

2) Purchase a level converter (SVEN-4) http://www.autosoundgear.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jqepcng0 and wire it up to the Bose headunit you purchased and then buy aftermarket amps to power your speakers (will probably provide the best quality sound of all the options). I did this in an Olds Aurora a few years back and ended up with an awesome system. Of course, I replaced all of the speakers and added some other stuff, too - but used the Bose headunit to prevent theft (my favorite part).

3) Sell the Bose headunit on ebay and buy a regular CD player.

A note - the ebay link to the amp provided above by another user will NOT work the way you want it to with the head unit you purchased.

Ryan