PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive!

More Power
04-02-2004, 17:42
Installation of the repainted and modified radiator core support was completed earlier today, then the radiator, hoses, batteries, ATF cooling lines and other miscellaneous items were installed. With a certain degree of anticipation, the engine was ready to see its first ignition cycle by late afternoon.

After completing the Password Learn procedure (about 35 minutes), the engine came to life at 5:00pm. Once the air in the fuel system had worked its way through (a couple minutes of idling), the engine ran smooth and sounded very good for a zero-time engine - even without an exhaust system.

The modified electronic 6.5 APP (accelerator pedal assembly) appears to work just fine. The engine responds to throttle input like you would expect it to. Engine oil pressure reached a typical level of about 75-psi after starting. The oil pressure, voltmeter, engine temperature, and trans temperature gauges appear to work as advertised. I allowed the engine to idle for about 40 minutes, until the engine temperature reached about 160 degrees. I don't currently have a fan on the engine, but I wanted to run it long enough to charge the batteries and check for any fluid leaks (there were none). The heater and vents work great.

Power steering and power brakes both appear to operate as expected. Once the air in the system had worked its way through, I topped of the PS fluid reservoir.

I'll pick up the intercooler tomorrow....

MP

CleviteKid
04-02-2004, 18:44
MOST EXCELLENT ! ! !

You and your team must feel a great sense of accomplishment at this very significant milestone along the way to completing your project. Congratulations from all of us who envy what you are building, and respect and appreciate all the work it takes to get there.

Dr. Lee :cool:

DieselEnvy
04-02-2004, 18:54
Congratulations!!!These last couple of days since your last update have been torture! tongue.gif

moondoggie
04-03-2004, 04:42
Good Day!

Ditto - can't wait to hear how it goes on the road or track.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Dieselboy
04-03-2004, 11:48
Great work! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Inspector
04-03-2004, 15:21
Bravo!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Denny

cowboywildbill
04-03-2004, 20:09
Do you think you could do the Dmax/A install on my cub cadet lawn tractor? Just kidding,
But I bet it would sure mow the lawn quick! HA HA!
How many hours do you think you will have in the project when it is completed? "Congratulations"

More Power
04-05-2004, 08:54
Cub Cadet? Sure....

Time? Lots.... Second time would be 1/4 of what it's taken (taking) this time though.

Figuring stuff out takes the most time. Installing stuff is relatively fast and easy.

The intercooler install is a real pain. I brought home the IC from the welder on Friday in a "tacked together" state, so I could do some trial fitting before the welding and finish work were completed.

I received a new set of composite head lights last week, and with the IC placed on the core support, I discovered a big problem with head light clearance. The IC core is 36" wide and about 40" wide when considering the end tanks. The inside measurement between headlight mounts is about 38. Still not sure how to get past that......

MP

Colorado Kid
04-05-2004, 13:29
Conversion to Work Truck grill and lights? They use standard halogen sealed-beams instead of the composites . . . there's got to be a little more width.

Congrats on a good heartbeat with the transplanted organ. :D

More Power
04-05-2004, 17:10
Sealed beam/composite headlight assys all use the same mounting dimensions.

I'll puzzle with it a bit longer.....

Thanks for your input.

MP

gmctd
04-05-2004, 18:43
Most excellent congrats, MP ...and, I am unanimous in that! :cool:

cowboywildbill
04-06-2004, 16:37
"HEADLIGHTS"? "WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING HEADLIGHTS". Is there anyway to move them out a little(forward)with a spacer. Im sure you don't want to mount them into the cooler area by modifying Cutting)the intercooler. We have faith in you. We can't wait to see this beast.

arveetek
04-09-2004, 18:27
Hey Jim,

Since you're getting really good at this Duramax swap procedure, how about we swap in a 6.6L into my '81 during the DP Rendezvous in July? That would be a decent upgrade from my 6.2L n/a, and a really cool event for all the guests, don't ya think? ;) :D :D

Casey

More Power
04-09-2004, 19:58
Cool idea!

Sure, bring everything you'll need, and I'll loan you my engine hoist and multimeter.

BTW - I drove the truck around the driveway yesterday. Got the new rear driveline installed, and just had to see if the truck could still move itself after a two year sit. No smokin' burnouts yet...

I've about got the modified AFE intake installed (final intake installation will occur after the intercooler pipes/hoses are installed), and the interior trim panels has been removed in anticipation of taking it to the paint shop.

MP

D-max Man
04-28-2004, 17:30
Hey Jim,

I have just the thing to complete that package.

I have the original Duramax Diesel Powertour trailer.

The company that put on that tour decieded to upgrade it's entire fleet to 18 wheelers and I made a deal with them to sell all of their old trailers for them. I have 12-50'ers and 2-48'ers.

Only drawback is that they removed all of the graphics from it so it is pure white now.

LanduytG
04-28-2004, 18:04
What are you getting for the trailers?

Greg

D-max Man
04-28-2004, 18:16
Greg,
Go to http://www.geocities.com/mytrailers and you can see pics, details and prices there.

BTW #1463 was the Powertour trailer.

Inspector
05-01-2004, 19:53
D-Max:
A question off the subject a little. Well allot.
Is GM ever going to consider building a chassis to compete with the F--D 350 Class C motorhome frame. As I see it they don't build a chassis that is up to the wheel base of the more popular F--D wheel base that would allow a D-MAX Ali combination. I have seen some pretty nice class C motorhomes out there with slides but they are on F--D frames and the dealers say that GM doesn't build for that GVWR. Whats with that?
I have seen some C4500 setups but they don't look so good.
Denny

D-max Man
05-02-2004, 09:51
GM sold their motorhome & step van line to another company (Workhorse I Think) so they don't build them anymore.

Inspector
05-02-2004, 15:16
Wife says their dumb.
Denny

tanker
05-05-2004, 01:36
More Power, Congrats on a job well done. ;) Glad it moved before flat spots appeared on the tires! :D Should be a real looker.
Denny, What are you two looking at? :rolleyes: A F**D? hmmmmmmmm?

Inspector
05-06-2004, 11:53
Tom:

In GMs infinite wisdom they have elected not to get into the larger Class C motor home chassis. They would have a sale for sure if they did. I like the Coachman 30ft with slide but on that size coach the only way I could get is with a PS diesel. It would be a great platform for the Dmax Ali if GM would get its head out.
A F--d would be last resort I assure you.
We will just continue to jerk around the big fiver.
Denny

D-max Man
05-07-2004, 06:25
Workhorse chassis might build it with the D-Max/Ali some day but the last word that I got was that GM was selling the D-max's so fast that they didn't have any extras to sell anybody else yet.