PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous!

More Power
01-24-2005, 14:36
The right amount of nitrous can increase RWHP by 70-120 over and above what a high-output module or program might produce on its own - simply by allowing the engine to burn more of the fuel.

I've only heard of one truck making it into the 12's without nitrous. Generally, nitrous is required to burn the fuel and help generate the power necessary to break into the twelves.

The Bully Dog system I'm playing with is a 2-stage system, with a smaller jet coming in at 3-psi boost pressure and the larger jet coming in at 20-psi.

There seems to be conflicting theories about jet size, with some recommending less flow, while others recommend lots of nitrous. To add to the confusion, some recommend a 2-stage system while others recommend a single stage. I'm thinking about modifying the system to produce a single stage (simpler, easier, neater installation). Any recommendations?

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/projectpower05.jpg

MP

BMDMAX
01-25-2005, 05:46
MP,

There are quite a few ways to do the nitrous setup, it really depends on how difficult you want to make it! ;) I prefer a simple setup, less things to go wrong in a 1/4 mile pass the better.

12's are obtainable in our trucks with just diesel, mine does, Tomac's does, NLDP and a few others too. I know lil' Red will for sure. Nitrous seems to be good for an average gain of about a half second, sometimes a bit more. Even with the larger injectors I usually pick up about five tenths.

A single stage system can easily provide enough gains for the track. There is no hard and fast relationship between jet sizes and horsepower gains on a diesel like you get with the gassers.

I started tuning my system with a .40 jet and went up from there. The largest I have ever run is a .90 jet that was good for a 240 HP gain. :cool:

I run a kit from Kennedy Diesel that was assembled from top notch Wilson Manifold gear. A 15 pound bottle with brackets, a nitrous filter (very good idea) a -6 feed line, a purge solenoid, a pro solenoid, a range of jets, -3 feed lines and your dry nozzle.

I started with a single large jet in the IAH port, depending on when I hit the nitrous traction was somewhat of an issue in 2WD. I now run two jets one large, one small off a single pro solenoid using a y splitter. With the soft feed lines you get a really nice smooth hit, almost like a progressive controller without the pain of setting one up. Very easy to manage even in 2WD spraying right after the holeshot. The two stage systems just seem to be more trouble than they are worth, IMHO. I have a momentary switch for the purge and a momentary switch to fire the system. The system arming switch is in the overhead on my attitude mount.

Every truck is different but start your jets small and work your way up while tuning at the track. Once you have cleaned up the smoke there is no need to jet higher. If you jet higher then you will start to slow down.

Sorry for the long post but once you get a simple nitrous system setup and tuned it will be a very reliable power gain. :D

mcmonroe
01-26-2005, 16:59
I have messed around with nitrous on gasoline hot rods but never diesels. In fact I currently have a hot rod Corvette with a fogger setup.

On gasoline engines both nitrous and gas are injected in specific proportions to gain various levels of power.

So how does it work on diesels? Diesels are direct injection so how do you go about getting the extra fuel to combine with the nitrous?

How do you go about insuring that the mixture is not lean so that you avoid burning pistons and so forth?

Mark

BMDMAX
01-26-2005, 20:00
Mark,

Nitrous on diesels are dry shot setups so no worries on the mixture. Just inject the nitrous post turbo into the intake and you have instant extra air to burn the extra fuel from programming or oversize injectors or both! :D

Since diesels are compression ignition beasts we run lean by nature. You won't lean it out with nitrous and burn pistons, if you run too much nitrous you effectively put out the fire and loose power.

Overall, used wisely and tuned cautiously nitrous is a great, safe power adder for diesel applications.

There have been some guys trying to use a wet kit as you described on the 6.0 powerstrokes with disastrous effects. The fuel does not atomize and you end up cratering the engine.

Anyway, nitrous in these trucks is quite fun. :cool:

[ 01-27-2005, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: BMDMAX ]

More Power
01-27-2005, 09:20
BM, Thanks for your input.... smile.gif

2005 will be an interesting year! A brand new 1/4-mile track will be online sometime this spring that's just 50 miles away, and the Spokane track will hold another diesel event day this summer. Last year, they had one truck in the 12's. And of course, trucks running at Edge's event in September should help to define the potential of diesel performance. Hope to see you there!

MP

BMDMAX
01-27-2005, 10:35
I have it on the calendar and I have already started the planning for it. It should be fun! :D

Marty Lau
02-09-2005, 13:55
what about nitrous for the riders? May need it to keep them from getting to up tight on scary ride! smile.gif

Craig M
02-10-2005, 07:47
One of the Saturday Car Shows (I think it was "Trucks") put a 2 adders to a Powerstroke, Propane and Nitrous as I recall. The combination was supposed get a miximum of power. They dynoed it but I do not recall the exact gains, but they were significant.

More Power
03-08-2005, 07:30
I plan to reconfigure the nitrous installation in the next couple of weeks, making it a single stage and eliminating the pressure switches. This will also allow me to clean up the installation - making it look a lot neater.

I updated the Project Page (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-16.htm) with a new pic. smile.gif

MP