PDA

View Full Version : May 18, 2004 Update - Completed exterior

More Power
05-19-2004, 08:28
Duramax Diesel Power Project
Completed Exterior

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-16.htm

See what the truck looks like now, and find out what the plans are now that the buildup phase is nearly complete.

MP

matt-max
05-19-2004, 13:46
congratulations! it looks awesome!

can't wait to hear how it drives.....

matt

markrinker
05-19-2004, 14:08
Looks awesome - congrats on your hard work!

More Power
05-19-2004, 18:23
Thanks guys.

Got about 90 miles on it so far. We're working on getting a new GM 9-1/2" rear differential with a locker, so the real testing can begin. Right now, it still has the GM 10-bolt with 3.42 gearing. 70-mph produces just 1800 rpm and the speedo is about 11% off. I do hope to perform some economy runs with this gearing, just to see what develops. This would be a good time to put more miles on the engine anyway before the new rear goes in.

Runs just like a Duramax... All of the gauges indicate pretty much what our '01 does. Sounds louder without a muffler, but not a bad sound though. On boost, it produces an authoritative growl while accelerating, and the turbo is pretty easy to hear through the AFE.

At just 4900-lbs, it accelerates quick.... ;)

MP

Inspector
05-19-2004, 19:12
Jim:
Congrats on the completion of your project. I know there isn't anyone on the page who hasn't followed this build with the same vicarious enthusiasm as you have had for this project. I looked for your updates first thing on the page
and can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks for this page and all that you do.
Denny

DieselEnvy
05-20-2004, 08:24
I have to agree with Inspector about the "vicarious enthusiasm". I'm also VERY interested in the mileage/driveability testing that will be done on the truck with the 3.42's. That sounds like a nice combo for light to moderate haulers. Congratulations once again, and PLEASE, more pics!! :D

tanker
05-21-2004, 18:16
I go along with "Inspector" as well. Cool lookin rig Jim ;) Keep up the great work.
I wonder how it will do up US-93 with "THE" trailer behind? :D
Hmmm, lets see its "RED" and Dr. Lee's is also "RED", but one lacks a "Stinkin Turbo"! :D
Good luck Jim. smile.gif

CleviteKid
05-22-2004, 05:11
The editor of "Four Wheel and Off Road" once observed that there have been more red Chevy trucks on the cover of the magazine than any other type. I believe the natural color for Chevy trucks is red, and anything else is just temporary until the owner wakes up and smells the lacquer thinner. :D

Dr. Lee :cool:

PS: The giggle juice system is installed, the bottles are filled, the propane system is installed, the bottle will be filled this weekend - stand by for NEWS!

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//nosmile/atom.gif

More Power
05-23-2004, 10:16
I've heard the color referred to "Arrest Me red" and "Retail red".

Actually, the various shades of red are among a small number of colors that photogragh really well. We lucked out with the first project truck color (garnet red, which photographs very well), but this time we chose victory red primarily for the photography.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about Dr. Lee's experiments!

MP

moondoggie
05-25-2004, 08:59
Good Day!

Awesome! Sure hope I can make it out there in July to see it up close & personal. Glad you made it to the May show. Apparently I'm not the only one who likes to vicariously enjoy your truck. Projects like this are sure fun to follow.

It's fortunate you live where you do. You'd NEVER drive this truck here in the Twin Cities. Folks here apparently think they're driving bumper cars. :mad:

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Dieselboy
05-25-2004, 17:09
Excellent work! I hope to see it in person at The Rendezvous. I'm working on one of my professors to let me off from class; it's a long drive from Texas.

Good job, Jim.

CleviteKid
05-26-2004, 03:44
David,

Just tell your Professor you will be taking special tutoring from Professor Bigley of the University of Montana, and Doctor Swanger of the University of Miami.

The Clevite Kid :cool:

autocrosser
06-22-2004, 14:13
Were you able to fit the A/C condensor coil in it?

More Power
06-23-2004, 07:18
A couple of possibilities exist for fitting a condenser. Right now, I'm leaning toward using a condenser that is about ~12" tall by ~36" wide. This would easily fit between the grille and the intercooler.

MP