More Power
07-01-2004, 13:55
Duramax Diesel
Power Project
-
Engine Driven Fan & A/C Puzzle
July 1, 2004 Update

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/project2-18.htm

Until today, the engine had been running without a fan of any kind. Higher than normal engine temperatures had not been a problem, even while driving in stop-and-go city traffic on an 85 degree day. However, I knew it could get a lot warmer this summer, and I've yet to complete the A/C installation. A fan would become more important...

Heartbeat Hauler
07-02-2004, 07:28
MP,
When trimming the fan, aren't you risking throwing the assembly out of balance and thereby increased risk of premature bearing wear?

Inquiring minds wanna know.
JP

CareyWeber
07-02-2004, 09:39
Morepower,

The horn on my 97 can be mounted behind the drivers side headlight with out any trouble. ;)

Carey

[ 07-02-2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: CareyWeber ]

More Power
07-02-2004, 18:07
HH,

The blades are thin (lightweight) and I was very careful in removing the material (slowly taken off with a sander, one blade at a time to a fine cut line). With nine blades, I figure it'll equal out around the circumference. I can't detect any vibration...

Carey,

There is a second horn mounted behind the core support below the driver's side headlight area. Relocating the grille area horn to a lower position should be do-able.

After puzzling with the intercooler and the condenser, I understand now why GM re-designed the engine compartment the way they did in the new trucks. They moved the engine rearward in the new trucks, with a more inset firewall area. Getting more real estate in the grille area was the goal. The 1988-98 C/K just doesn't have the same amount of room.

MP