PDA

View Full Version : Trailering advice please

Dihrdbowti
10-02-2004, 08:17
As you can see in my sig below what vehicle I have I have a question regarding towing. Actually more of a dilemma really. At the end of the month I need to take an old Toyota Landcruiser to So. Cal from Reno. approximate weight of the cruiser is about 4000-4300lbs and pick up a Ford Ranger pickup (even smaller). The tow trailer I am borrowing is a 22ft tandem axle, (don't have the weight yet) is rated at 7000lbs and has electric brakes so I know that shouldn't be an issue. I am trying to figure out whether my TV is a proper TV for this tow or do I need to borrow/rent a different TV. Regardless of what TV I use I don't have any way of weighing the trailer tongue/loaded trailer to know the actual weight. I know I don't want to raise the front of the TV very much when I load the vehicles but I need to have enough tongue weight to keep the trailer steady. Are there any rules of thumb to go by when loading out the trailer? Ball height, trailer level/not level, bumper height front and back before and after etc. I have done some lightweight trailering with this rig but less than 1500lbs (besides flat towing my other landcruiser). Any help, observations, criticism, thoughts, etc are welcome.

Thanks

rjschoolcraft
10-02-2004, 09:33
A weight distributing hitch should be used. The total weight of trailer and Landcruiser will be close to what the Yukon is rated for. The weight distributing hitch equipment will keep the truck and trailer level with the load and improve handling of the rig overall.

HowieE
10-02-2004, 10:26
All in all I would consider renting a 24 Ryder truck.
Yes you should have a weigth distrubiting hitch and to set one of them up properly it takes several hours, most are never set up properly. You would have to set it up at each end since you are towing 2 different trucks and will not be able to set the tongue weights the same.
If you do try it make sure the trailer sets level when on the ball so one axel does not run hotter than the other. Yes do do not want the front axel to rise when loaded, in fact if you use a load distributing hitch you want the front fender to lower about 60% of the drop of the rear fender as measured through the center line of the wheels to the bottom of each fender.

tanker
10-03-2004, 02:07
Phil, the Tahoe with the 6.5TD is rated to tow a trailer weighing 6000lbs. with tongue weight of 750lbs.and a GCWR of 12000lbs. with the 3:42 axle ratio. 7000lbs. with a GCWR of 13000lbs. with tongue weight of 850lbs. and the 3:73 axle ratio. The short wheelbase is also a factor in developing sway, even with a weight distributing hitch. I agree with Howie above about a bigger tow vehicle. I think you could do it with a 3500 dual rear wheel truck with a longer wheelbase. Remember safety should come first, not just for you, but also for fellow motorists. smile.gif

Inspector
10-03-2004, 11:10
Phil:
When I first read this post it didn't sound or feel right. Since I pull a 5er I thought I would wait to comment on the safty aspect. As Howie mentioned there are many setups out there that just aren't right especially bumper pulls.
Tongues to low and to high. When bumper pulling this is a critical adjustment. Tanker went through the gear ratios and gcwrS for your truck and I would think that you will be right at the limit or slighly over for what you are trying to accomplish. You really need a margine of safty and IMO it isn't there. Your safty and others around you are important. I agree with Howie and Tanker that a larger tow vehicle is in order.
You may have the power in the Tahoe to pull it all but not as safly as you should be.
Think it over.
Denny

Dihrdbowti
10-03-2004, 22:35
Thanks for the input guys. I do have the 3.73 gears and yes I do have the power. But I was also concerned with the wheelbase. I am doing this as a favor for a friend as he can't afford to rent a tow vehicle. I have found out that the Cruiser is 4100 GVWR but the engine, tranny and transfer case are already pulled out. That's about 1000lbs already removed. With the weight of the trailer would put me near 5000lbs. That doesn't solve the problem with the short wheelbase vehicle. I would love to have a 1 ton dually but I can't afford that myself. I will have the trailer and cruiser about a week before I am supposed to go and that would give me a chance to set up the weight distribution hitch correctly and evaluate it. I will continue to try and find an alternative solution.

Thanks again

Keith Richards
10-06-2004, 16:32
One last consideration is I saw you mention the trailer has brakes ,but do you have a brake controller in your truck.I'm not trying to just state the obvious,but when I got a new trailer with electric brakes,I didn't know I needed a brake controller wired into my truck,along with the proper coupling for the plug.That set me back around $350 I beleive.

Dihrdbowti
10-06-2004, 21:26
Yes actually I do have a controller. A Tekonsha Voyager model 9030 I believe.

autocrosser
10-25-2004, 11:19
I don't see a problem with it as long as you position the load on the trailer to ge the proper toung weight and not have a unbalanced load hanging out the rear or front which would make the trailer wag the truck. You might need to make a couple of trial load setting points to get it right depending on the trailer.

I don't seem to have a problem with my 96 extended cab C2500 no matter where I set the load and I'm talking about another diesel P/U, tractor or race car. Having a slightly longer wheel base as well as "E" rated tires does help some. I do use a weight transfer hitch for my 8k camper though just to keep the rear of the truck level.

If it's balanced right it should tow fine.

Kennedy
10-28-2004, 13:05
Should be fine. Keep the tongue weight solid, but not excessive.

Figure a 16' 7,000# GVW car trailer at 1700# if it the popular style.

If you can find a weight dist hitch setup would be best.

Try and stay away from big grades and high ambient temps if possible...

Jim H.
11-06-2004, 20:45
Phil, Some years ago I moved from Arizona to New York and using a Bronce pulled a Corvette on a trailer. Four years later when I moved back here to New Mexico, I bought a 16 foot trailer to move everything (Corvette had been sold but everything else including motorcycle still came to 5000#). The trailer with the Corvette was close to 5500# and the trailer I pulled back was nearly 7000# loaded. Since I was saving to go to college I didn't buy an equalizer for the return trip. In both cases I just took it easy (60 to 65 MPH) and had no problems.

MTTwister
11-07-2004, 17:10
I actually rode with a guy pulling 3 horses on a Stinger hitch with an old burb. - no equalizer -not real sure I remember about the safety chains. We made it to Bozo and back! Note - neither of us was That Young to be doing stupid things.. he was more of an ole ranch guy....

God sometimes looks out for the idiots.

Turbine Doc
11-07-2004, 19:34
Is a tow dolly not an option, front wheels on the dolly and rolling on the rears, would cut down on the weight considerably, also check out www.activesuspension.com (http://www.activesuspension.com) helped me a bunch when I started towing my Bronco II