PDA

View Full Version : allison shift points

COPPER
04-08-2004, 22:03
any suggestions-it seems to me that the allison and duramax have a lot of power[well du]--
most of my time is spent unloaded, around town-
the trans seems to shift down when it doesn't have to-also when using cruise control it downshifts on slight grades-again when it still has power.--can't we find a way to adjust the shift points--seems to me it will save trans wear and produce fewer rpm's and maybe some mileage gains?--

TMS
04-11-2004, 15:35
Hey Copper,

Just pulled my brand new TT to Northern Michigan this weekend. The trailer is 6700#+ MT. I used the tow/haul selection and never downshifted. Going north into Michigan there are some fairly long uphills ...... the bridge at Saginaw ....the stretch just out of West Branch ..no downshifting. For a newbie, I would suggest making sure the tow/haul option is used. It seemed to limit downshifts ....

Now ..... about mileage ..... between 10 and 11!!! Thought I might do better !!!

Rockin
04-19-2004, 08:57
I just got done with my first trip with ~13000# behind me. I had plenty of downshifts on 6% grades. I found with a load, you have to 'talk' to the tranny via the accelerator to keep it where you want it. If you let up, it will often upshift etc. Read up on the uphill characteristics of the tranny, it should do some things you may not expect like just staying in a gear where it seems you are using the most power you will get rather than shifting up and down.

rickdlance
05-01-2004, 11:59
Check your local dealer for a computer upgrade. This helped my 01 a lot. More power was my next thing.