PDA

View Full Version : coverted semi-tractors

Shad
12-10-2003, 13:55
I have noticed in the last few years at the truck and tractor pulls more guys using old coverted semi-tractors because of how cheap you can get them and the weight you can pull. It is my understanding in Wisconsin if you convert the sleeper correctly you can liscense it under a RV class. Most guys I see are pulling between 10-20,000 lbs. and are happy with them with $10,000 into vs. a new $45,000 pickup. I just thought it was a cool Idea for the hobbiest.

GARY PAGE
12-10-2003, 15:04
I have noticed that as well. But when it comes to repairing one of the machines of that class it may be another story. Most truck stops have paper listing used trucks.

tanker
12-10-2003, 16:09
I'm not sure about all states, but with new units some states will not register a big rig unless it went directly from the manufacturer, (Paccar-International-Freightliner, etc) to an RV conversion shop for completion, with a new certification. I would check first. Federal regulations also apply to new units. The incomplete vehicle document states what it can be upon final stage manufacturing, ie: Truck or Truck Tractor, School bus, Bus etc. Lots of used units around, but most have high mileage. smile.gif