PDA

View Full Version : Need brake controller

Wendell Sorrell
12-11-2003, 06:24
1) What's the best brake controller out there?
I routinely tow 3 different trailers. A 23ft 5'r, 24ft "lowboy" cargo, and a 14ft cargo. All tandem axles. Adjusting between them is nothing short of an art form, especially when the weight changes depending on cargo or load.

2)Does anyone manufacture one specifically designed for the Duramax line?
Thanks,wendell

Turbine Doc
12-11-2003, 06:49
Wendell,

I have been very satisfied with the Tekonsha Prodigy

Easy to hook up & works great found a pretty good price $99 at this site 8 mos. ago , I believe it works on DMax as well

http://www.truckxpressions.com/truckaccessories/towingaccessories/tekonsha_prodigy.htm

dieseldummy
12-11-2003, 06:57
I have the Tekonsha brand, the model is the Voyager. I have been very satisfied with it. I assume the the Prodigy is the newer upgraded version. Go with a Tekonsha product. I don't think you'll be disapointed.

Flyboy
12-11-2003, 08:58
The Jordan brake controller reads the current going to the brakes, therefore you can set the current for each trailer and then just repeat the setting when you change trailers. I works great for me as I do the same as you, that is tow different trailers. It does not rely on surge de-celleration to work. A small cable is attached to your brake and is porportional to petal movement. It's the best, in my opinion, and I've used many controllers.

stolley
12-11-2003, 10:59
I second the vote for the Jordan. No inertia-type controller can compare with it. The true, totally proportional braking is great, especially if you might encounter slippery conditions.
Here's the Jordan website:
http://www.jordanbrake.com/

Wendell Sorrell
12-11-2003, 11:21
Thanks guys, So the Jordan controller physically attaches to the brake pedal. Does this make installation difficult or tricky?

saywhat
12-11-2003, 11:55
The Prodigy also reads current going to brakes so set up for different trailers is simple after initial setup for each trailer.Another feature of the Prodigy is that it can be mounted in a holster (included) and quickly moved to another tow vehicle or put out of site if desired.There is also a cable available (optional) that plugs into the Prodigy and the truck thus no spliceing.

stolley
12-11-2003, 18:15
Hi Wendell,
No one would ever mistake me for a mechanic, and I installed my Jordan myself in about an hour. A small bracket attaches to your brake pedal arm with a set screw, and then you can slip the cable in/out of the bracket as needed. The controller mounts with 2 screws, and only 3 wires to hook-up to your trailering harness. Adjustment went quickly and then....
apply your truck brakes a little or a lot, and you get the same at the trailer! Brilliant!

HowieE
12-11-2003, 18:33
The secret to the Jordan controller installation is to have the cable attached at a point on the brake pedal arm so that the cable only moves a total of 1 in through complete pedal travel. On early GM products that was hard to accomplish because of the steering colume mounting. I can't speek to the D Max but for best results consider this before commiting.
I solved the problem by making a reduction pulley for my 97. You can see it on my site noted in the signature.
If you resolve this issue the Jordan is a truely proportional system second only to the old hydrolic controller which are no longer available thaks the Ralph N.
The main problem with the ineritial type controller and try axle trailers is the trailer become the braking system that influance the controller once deceleration has started. This usualy means you have to come off the truck brakes to maintain a smooth deceleration.

DMAXTER
12-11-2003, 22:08
Love the Jordon! Have had it now for over a year and used it with two different trailers.

IndigoDually
12-12-2003, 06:05
I have both the Prodigy and the Jordan and I like the Jordan better. There is no lag time because the controller is waiting to sense decelleration, the Prodigy does help solve the problem some with it's boost settings but it's not the same.

The digital readout on the Prodigy displays VOLTAGE being SENT to the brakes while the Jordan displays AMPERAGE being DRAWN. There is a big difference, a trailer I thought was fine with the Prodigy, showed that 1 wheel was not working with the Jordan.

John

moondoggie
12-12-2003, 16:53
Good Day!

How much $ is the Jordan?

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Wendell Sorrell
12-12-2003, 17:42
Thanks guys!
I do think they all have their pros & cons but I think the Jordan may be just what I need. At $140 it is competitively priced.

I sent an email to the company to see if they had the wiring harness for 2003 GM and it was answered by Jordan himself, how cool is that? He suggested getting the harness through GM and simply wiring it to the controller.

I should be able to do that at my workbench, then take it out and install the brake cable. Should be quick and easy. Thanks again for all of your input. It really helped. wendell

CareyWeber
12-13-2003, 09:30
All,

Has anyone ever used a Hoppy brake controller.

Note this is not for full/commercial time use.

Carey

drthv8r
12-13-2003, 16:42
I flat out love my Jordan Brake Controller. If you email or call most times you will talk to the man himself. A very pleasent man to deal with.