PDA

View Full Version : How much can I tow?

Lou
10-31-2004, 11:47
I'm in the market for a fifth wheel and I realize the 2500 dmax is rated to pull a 15,000lbs. fifth wheel but realistically how close to that number can I comfortably come. We plan on doing extensive traveling around the country and I don't want to worry about hills or overworking the truck. Thanks for any advice you might offer.

CleviteKid
10-31-2004, 12:54
When GM announced the Duramax, but before getting it into customer hands, GM sent a Power Tour around the country towing a 50-foot trailer. There was never an official announcement of the trailer weight, but there is reason to believe that it may have been around 18,000 pounds. This rig went all over the US and Canada, Rocky Mountains included, with no problems.

TheDieselPage.com recommends that you do NOT exceed the values specified by GM in your owner's manual.

Dr. Lee :cool:

David Utz
11-01-2004, 04:29
Lou,
I pull a 34 foot Travel Supreme that weighs in at about 14,000 pounds loaded or 21,000 GVWR. I pulled it all around Yellowstone two years ago and never felt the need for more power or an exhaust brake. This is a factory stock truck with no mods. The worst Interstate hills would slow me to 50 - 55 MPH. I did drop to 45 once due to traffic and was not able to recover back up to 4th gear and had to ride out the hill at 45. It has plenty of power to pull any rated weight and can pull much more in the flats. The limiting factor is usually hitch weight and rear axle loads (tire ratings). The first limit you will hit with a 2500HD is probably the 9200 pound GVW (weight of the truck, its cargo, and the trailer pin weight. Soon after this, you will pass the GRAW (rear axle) which is limited by the stock tires to 6084 pounds. It's not a question of having the power to pull more. It's having tires and weight carring ability to do it safely.

chipper
11-01-2004, 06:01
Lou,
I have a 01 & a 13,000 lb 32' Excel 5th & I have been across the Rocky Mtns twice, all over B.C. in Canada, including some 12% grades. The truck is awsome,Don't worry about it, it will do the job.
:D

Tom Hallock
11-08-2004, 21:02
OK I can understand that newer trucks can pull larger loads. I have a 96, 6.5 diesel that was told the weight bearing load was 8600#. Have been lead to believe that the actual weight I can pull is closer to 9600# and that pulling a fiver. Is this pretty righton. Or am I being buffalo'ed.
Thanks
Tom

DBlake
11-09-2004, 12:16
Tom,
Your load carrying capacity and weight pulling capacity are mostly separate animals. Since you mentioned 8600lbs, I am guessing you have the L65 version of the C/K 2500. The 8600 refers to your Gross Vehicle Weight. Factory rated pulling capacity in these vehicles is dependant on your rear end (differential) ratio. 4.10(s) will give you a Combined Gross Weight Rating (CGWR) of 14,500lbs, 3.73 gives 13,000lbs, 3.42 gives 12,000lbs. Note that the K version (4WD) is heavier than C version (2WD), which means that your empty weight will be several hundred pounds more. Hope this helps

More Power
11-09-2004, 15:50
Lou,

Have your truck weighed with all of the people, cargo, fuel and accessories you plan to take with you on your towing excursions. Then, subtract that weight from 22,000-lbs. That is your rated towing capacity (assuming you have a suitably rated 5th-wheel hitch). The factory 2" receiver hitch is rated for a maximum of 12K when using a weight distributing hitch.

MP