PDA

View Full Version : Lights on HVAC controls flicker and dim while braking with trailer???

Stephen1
12-13-2003, 21:59
When I have a trailer hooked up the blue-green display lights on the HVAC controls flicker and dim when I hit the brakes? Is there a loose connection somewhere? Any thoughts? Ground strap somewhere? Batteries and connections are good.

Thanks!

Stephen

HowieE
12-14-2003, 13:11
Tell us more.
Is it only the AC lights that dim or do the instrument panel lights also dim?
Has the brake controller just benn installed or has it worked OK in the past?
Any other resent electrical change to the truck or trailer?
Whos controller are you using, hydrolic or electric?

Stephen1
12-14-2003, 13:54
It is just the AC/Heat display. The other dash lights are fine. The brake controller has been in the truck for 6 or 7 years. No change. It is a Tekonsha.

It is almost like they are dimming in a similar way to when the headlights are turned on. I will take it apart when I get around to it and check the connections on the back of the AC/Heat controller. Sometimes it is just the easy stuff.

1994 Truck. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this.

Thanks,

Stephen

HowieE
12-16-2003, 18:40
What circuit is the brake contro;;er hooked to? It should be wired directly to a battery feed such as the post on the fuse block under the hood.
Depending on were the controller getsit's power from you may want to check the trailer brakes for a shorted magnet before taking the truck apart.

Stephen1
12-17-2003, 19:14
It does not seem to be the brake controller. It does it even if I pull a trailer without electric brakes (surge brakes). I think it is something in the brake light circuit. I am just going to hook up a light bulb to the trailer connector and see if that does it as well.

Thanks,

Stephen