PDA

View Full Version : Truck& Trailer Ride Level?

James Hewett
04-13-2004, 11:15
When I first hooked my 5ver triler to my F-150 4x4 the pickup was a little to high and the tailer did not ride level and at some points the front of the trailer would ride very close to hitting the tops of the quarter panels of the bed. My way of correcting this was to remove the 2" spacer blocks from ontop of the rearend housing.
I haven't yet hooked the trailer to my 4x4 Gmc, but I can see it is going to be a little high to let the trailer ride level.And I don't have any spacers to pull out on the GMC.
Has anyone come across the same problem and how did they correct the situation? without going to flipping the trailers axles, I don't beleive that is a good fix. It not only makes the steps higher, but makes the trailer ride too high.

DBlake
04-13-2004, 13:28
Well, flipping the axles under the springs is how I did it for my 27ft 5th wheel. As I see it it gave the following benefits: 1) more ground clearence for the trailer, especially in the rear where some tend to drag entering or leaving driveways; 2) Gave me room to mount shocks in a much better angle (more vertical); 3) kept truck at factory set level which I think keeps the stability optimal. I did have to buy a step for entry stairs. Another option would have been a three step fold out stair, but I thought I could use the portable step for other things too. All in all the combined unit is very stable even though the trailer does ride higher. I plan to add some additional wheel well armor (for exploding tires :eek: and road debris)since I now have room for it. smile.gif

James Hewett
04-14-2004, 17:30
I think I came up with my solution. What I'm going to do is buy a pair of 2" lowering shakels from Summit Racing, they look a whole lot e-zier to put in then flipping axles, afterall they been lowering cars and trucks since the fifties and it won't be any lower then the truck would be if it had a one ton load.
Driveshaft angle won't be anything to even think about according to the local driveshaft manufacturer.And I ran my F150 4yrs. w/out any problem brougt on by the lower rearend.