PDA

View Full Version : Great new matress for the trailer

DickWells
11-21-2004, 18:18
Gotta post this, cause we're so pleased with this thing.
We tossed the innerspring thingy back in 2000 when it was brand new. Hard as a rock and worhtless. Went to a cheap air matress and been with one ever since. We were quite happy with an air matress, but have been thinking about memory foam, and wishing we could afford to try one for a year or so.
We were up at CostCo in Tampa the other day, and lo and behold, they had some for a little over $5oo. We came back to Sarasota with one. Well, this thing is worth the price!
No more sinking down against each other. No more pressure spots. we're waking up earlier, feeling more rested.
The worst thing about it is that it's heavy. I mean about 80 lbs heavy. (a rough guess) We cut off 5 inchs from the end to make it fit better, so it probably weighs about 70+ lbs now. By the way, it's 12 inches thick. Three inches of memory foam on top of 9 inches of high density foam.
Anyway, it's a queen size, made by Sleep Innovations. If you are having sleep problems, this may be a way to go for you, too. It sure beats the two grand or more that I have heard that the famous name-brand is supposed to cost.
Dick Wells

DmaxMaverick
11-21-2004, 19:27
We've been going down that road for over 2 years as well. Spring matresses suck. I was going to go the memory foam route, but was scared away by the price. For that much money, I'll sleep outside on the ground (which still may be better than the springer).

This summer, I picked up a down matress cover (Costco) for about $50 on sale. The improvement was 100%. I can't say that We've had your results, but I sleep better (pun intended) knowing I didn't throw down $1,800. I can buy a lot of toys for that.

If I had seen the matress you speak of, I probably would have done it, and still may (gotta keep the pot scrubber happy). I'll use what we have until it gets to be a problem. Not enough can be said about the quality of sleep, especially while traveling.

rjschoolcraft
11-21-2004, 19:35
Dick,

I assume the name brand you refer to is the TempurPedic. We've been looking at those for a while for our home bed. How do you think they compare to what you found?

tanker
11-22-2004, 01:38
We bought a new queen size sealy a number of years ago (Home syle) and put it in or 30' Jayco, it was a little longer, but not a problem. When we purchsed our new Holiday Rambler, we put it in there, and put the new Holiday mattress into the Jayco and sold the Jayco with a new mattress still in the plastic. They were happy to get a good used trailer with a new mattress. I'm sure some people will have a problem fitting a full queen into most TT. I added an aluminum extension to the end of the bed so we could sit on the end when dressing without breaking the mattress. Seems it does not matter what type of unit you buy, they all seem to use the most uncomfortable mattress for the least cost. We need comfort, and we now have that comfort. ;)

DickWells
11-22-2004, 18:23
Ron: Yes, I was refering to TempurPedic. I have to believe that the one we bought would compare pretty favorably. With a full foot of mattress under you, it sure is relaxing. I thought at first that it was going to be too firm, but I can't believe how much better we rest on this mattress. I don't think we ever would have sunk two grand into one, but 5oo isn't out of reach. Trouble is, when we get home, we're going to miss this one. BTW, we've been sleeping on air at home for about 8 years, now. We buy cheep queen size mattresses, and when the current one starts to leak, we throw it away and get a new one.
Dick Wells

Dickie
11-24-2004, 14:18
Foam mattresses are the absolute greatest. Even the 2" covers you can get at Sam's club for around $100 are a great improvement over the standard mattress. Yes, they are costly. But remember, you spend 1/3 of your life on your mattress. We have a latex/memory mattress at home and 2" covers on the queen beds in the TT.

Chris Curran
11-30-2004, 04:45
I agree 100%. I bought a 2" foam pad from Wally world for $60 a few weeks ago (queen size). The TT bed sleeps like a dream now...

Originally posted by Dickie:
Foam mattresses are the absolute greatest. Even the 2" covers you can get at Sam's club for around $100 are a great improvement over the standard mattress. Yes, they are costly. But remember, you spend 1/3 of your life on your mattress. We have a latex/memory mattress at home and 2" covers on the queen beds in the TT.

DickWells
12-05-2004, 17:33
Yep, Walley World is a good place to go. If you're lucky, you can find a six inch thick memory foam mattress there for less than $200.
Don't think I'm ever going to be sorry for the extra money for the 12 incher, though.
One thing I won't miss about the air mattresses is this thing about leaving a soft mattress in the morning, at 1000 feet elevation, and finding a hard mattress that is 2 inches wider, 4 inches longer, and about a foot + thick at 5000 feet that night, after a day's tow! Same thing happens to your tires, to a lesser degree. My trailer tires will get about 4 lbs harder at elevation (cold, in the morning), compared to the lowlands. The Suburban (265-75-16's) will gain from 6 to 8 lbs. I don't worry about it, because I'd rather that they run too hard than too soft, any day.
Just my humble observations.
Regards, Dick Wells