PDA

View Full Version : GVW Question

NL
11-27-2004, 19:36
The GVW rating of the GMC 2500HD is 9200 pounds while the GVW rating of the 3500 (Single rear wheel) is 9900 pounds. What has GM done to the 3500 to increase the weight rating by 700 pounds?
Thanks

tanker
11-28-2004, 05:16
I just ordered an 05 K-3500 CC, D/A, 9900 GVW. The differance is a heavier rear axle, (same as dually), 265/75-16 E rated tires, steel wheels, an extra main leaf spring, (over the 2500HD), and one helper leaf spring, (one less than a dually). Oh buy the way the 3500 SRW is less money than a 2500HD! :rolleyes: Go figure that one out. ;) We were looking for a more stable tow vehicle, but did not want the dual wheels. I'll install Alcoa aluminum wheels, as they will not effect the GVW, they are wider than the 2500HD aluminum rims. smile.gif

CleviteKid
11-28-2004, 06:57
"Tanker's Toy Two" is about to hit the roads; look out World !!

Those of us who have been privileged to inspect the original Tanker's Toy know that the successor will be a unique machine. And the lucky person who gets to buy the original will have one of the finest Diesel Suburbans around.

Good luck with the new Toy, Tom, and we all will share your angst as the original drives off with some new owner at the helm.

The Clevite Kid :cool:

Colorado Kid
11-29-2004, 11:29
Sorry to hijack the thread, but . . .

Hey Tanker, I see from your signature that the "toy" is for sale, but no contact info and I can't find a classified. :confused:

Maybe there's only one Tom McCauly in Collegeville ;)

Lawnboy
11-29-2004, 17:23
I just emailed tanker (Dad) to let him know about this post.

Yes "Tankers Toy I" is for sale, and if I had the money and need for it, I would take it off his hands in a heartbeat. Will be a real fine truck for someone who needs a Suburban. To those who have seen or read about it..., It's all that, and more!

He is in the process of drafting up a classified ad, and may even put it on Ebay.

Back on topic:

Originally posted by NL:
What has GM done to the 3500 to increase the weight rating by 700 pounds?The 245 tires were the limiting factor on the 2500HD's.

The extra leaf spring and helper spring are a nice extra! They (3500 SRW's) are quite rare.

tanker
11-30-2004, 01:01
Yes "Kids" (Clevite & Colorado) It is for-sale, and I will put my "Tankers Toy" in "The Diesel Page" classified ads sometime in December. I will miss her for sure, but can only have so many toys :D (the toy box is full). Lawnboy will help with some photo's for anyone interested. ;)

Inspector
11-30-2004, 22:51
Tom:
You know that you will miss that Sub. I miss my ol 93 from time to time. I do have the advantage of having it in the family and close by so I can drive it when I get the erge.
For anyone out there that is looking for a drop dead gorgous Sub look no further. Just have your hat and money in hand there will be alot of people knocking on Tom's door for that one.
Too bad that Lawnboy can't give her a new home so when the erge comes you can slide in and take her for a spin. It is the finest Sub that I have ever seen.
Denny

Tractor
12-01-2004, 18:54
That is exactly the reason why T.J. was the only one to get my 1998 G.M.C. Some things just have a personally. I still get to drive it and listen to the new stero that he put in it. At the very least Tom , take a picture of your sweetie and put it in your new travel trailer. It is just you in that sub..
TRACTOR

DMAXTER
12-08-2004, 12:05
I believe you will find that the rear axel assembly is the same on both 2500HD and 3500.