PDA

View Full Version : Which gooseneck hitch?

TN farmer
12-23-2003, 18:20
I need a gooseneck ball in my 2500HD swb and I was wanting to hear which is the easiest to install and who has the best price.

The only one I know of is turnoverball, how does everyone like this one?

maxinDixon
12-24-2003, 08:26
I installed the turnover ball from B&W and its great. A local cattle hauler (who has over 200,000 miles on his '01 Dmax/ali) has them and swears by them. There is another one called the popup but that ball sits further forward than the B&W and since I too have the short bed it was a real concern. Also the B&W is less prone to getting gunked up in the socket than is the popup (according to those that have run both I've talked to).
Their web is http://www.turnover.com

Hope this helps you.

Jack

billnourse
12-24-2003, 09:23
TN farmer,

I have a Reese Goose that fits into two rails in the bed of the pickup. The rails are only about 1" high and don't interfer with loads when the goose is removed. Removal only requires pulling 4 pins. If you go with this system, you have the option of also using a Reese 5th wheel hitch should you so choose.

Regards,

Bill

ropinfool
12-24-2003, 11:04
There is the Draw-tite remove a ball, they also now have a turnover ball (don't know much about that one), Cody Hitch, and of course the B & W turnover ball. I had a Cody hitch in one of my trucks, it wasn't the easiest to install and one time I left the ball down for about a month and I had to use a 3lb hammer to get it unstuck (I lived where the sun was wet(Washington)), Draw-tite remove a ball is a high quality product, excellent instructions, pretty straight forward on the install. Only thing I didn't like about that was when you took the ball out what do you do with it? It's covered in grease and now you have a hole in the bed to fill up with gravel, hay, dirt, snow, etc.... They do come with a magnet to cover the hole but I have seen many of them fly off going down the road. I now have the B&W. It was a piece of cake to install in my new Dodge, only had to cut a 4" hole in the bed, I didn't install the safety chain loops since I will be towing a fiver. They even make a plastic plug to fit inside the hole if you don't need the ball. Now I have a flat bed when ever the companion 5th wheel hitch is not installed. The only thing I have heard bad about this is if you have a blow out of the drivers side rear tire you can mangle the rod that locks/unlocks the ball in place. Good luck. John :D

Turbine Doc
12-24-2003, 14:46
I like this one, solves the problem of what to do with the ball, here is what I posted in an earlier post:

I'm running a Putnam Lock and Load set up for my 9Ton dovetail gooseneck equipment trailer I occasional pull my backhoe with. It's a neat set up as it's under bed nothing in the bed to get out of the way, the spring loaded ball pops out of a well socket, covered by sealed cap until ready to tow. 25K rated also can be adapted to accept 5th wheel trailers, check out this site at the time they had best prices on the web. http://www.kwikhitch.com/hitches/5thwheels.htm

http://www.putnamhitch.com/Fifth%20Family/hawkover.htm

Billman
12-25-2003, 05:21
I LOVE the B&W Turnover ball hitch...

Piece of cake to install. 2-3 hours with no help.

$250.

TN farmer
12-25-2003, 13:48
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I like the looks of the B&W turnoverball, but did everyone buy theirs from a local dealer or off of the internet? If the later what site did you use?

Thanks

ropinfool
12-25-2003, 19:33
I bought my B & W off ebay, $259. Now I'm looking for a good price on the companion. Merry Christmas everyone!!!! John