PDA

View Full Version : How to purchase a used trailer (Goose, LQ horse)

Rockin
12-29-2003, 06:17
My Fiance and I are looking to buy a used trailer (3H Goose, 9'-12' short wall living quarters horse trailer) We've found one local that we are interested in. A few questions:

How do you check out an RV trailer before purchase?

How do you estimate value to decide what to offer?

What are best ways to finance? 2nd mortgage? RV loan? What about intrest tax credit?

CaptainSir
12-29-2003, 11:29
Good luck looking for trailer. I've got a 3 horse 4Star with a 10' short wall LQ. Love it!!

I guess I would take it to an RV dealer if you have access to one. Have them check to make sure everything is working. Otherwise, if you're doing it on your own, make sure you turn everything on (furnace, hot water heater, fridge, etc) and let it run for a little while to make sure the stuff works. Don't just start the stuff up on AC power, try it using the batteries too. Look for water damage/mold around the base boards and under the sink area to check for possible water leakage. Any water leakage might effect the integrity of the floor. Also, make sure you check the floor in the horse area and check the tires to see if they show any signs of uneven wear. See if you can get the seller to let you hook up and pull it to see how it handles. Some brand trailers pull better than others.

Good used trailers, especially aluminum, hold their value pretty well. Take a look at the "trailer" section on "www.tacktrader.com". Lots of trailers for sale and this should give you an idea of what people are asking for various setups.

If you refinance or do a 2nd, you may be able to
deduct the interest but you should probably check with your finance person first to see if you can, and if it is worth it.

Good luck: Happy trails.

tanker
12-29-2003, 18:56
Can't help you much on the back end, don't know much about horses. As mentioned above, check out the complete unit. Look at the springs for a broken leaf, or worn bushings. Tires for uneven wear, and cracking from sun and age. Measure the distance between axle centers on both sides, there should not be any differance. Look at the roof for any signs of patching, (bring a ladder) broken vents etc. Make everything work, plug it in to shore power, check the 12-volt system as well. Its now winter so trying out the plumbing is almost impossible, try the appliances etc. Look inside all cabinets for any sign of water damage. Try to find one at a private sale, from the owner, then you can ask questions, and most will be honest about it. A dealer may want to sell it bad enough to not mention anything that is wrong with it. Buy from a reliable dealer, and ask for a 90 day warranty. We bought 3 used travel trailers from private owners, and 2 new trailers from dealers. We sold 4 of our trailers used, and never hid anything, and we always got good resale from keeping our units in tip top shape.
If you see a lot of dirt etc. on the inside, most likely it was not taken care of either. Look in the oven, and fridge, do you smell any unpleasant odor's?
Once you buy it, its yours, so check it out first.
Wish you well in your search. smile.gif
Finance: well that is something else you must search out. A home equity loan can be good, and a write off. If it has a kitchen, bathroom and sleeping quarters, it can be written off as a second home, but check with a financial adviser first. On used equipment you are limited to a higher interest rate, than with a new rig. Manufacturer's will help finance new equipment, just to get another sale at a low rate, but not on used. ;)

[ 12-30-2003, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: tanker ]

arveetek
12-30-2003, 12:07
All excellent advice above.

If you find one that has an RV style refrigerator and other appliances, make sure they all work before purchasing. A new, two-door RV fridge is around $1100, so that can turn a good deal into a not-so-good deal pretty quickly.

If you can, hire somebody to do an inspection before signing on the dotted line. I often do this for customers who want to purchase a used RV. I make a list of all things I find wrong, and how much it will cost to repair it.

Casey

LanceW
01-19-2004, 12:06
Hey Rockin- Unless you are desperate to buy soon, it's possible to get a great deal. We bought a 3-horse Exiss GN last year, (No LQ or anything fancy) and paid about 3,000 less than the 12,500 "book" value. We did our research, found out exactly what we wanted, and then went and got cozy with a dealer. When he got his hands on a rig close to what we wanted, he called us before the trade. On the third one, we got just what we were looking for.They practically passed it thru to us, because it helped them sell a brand new rig and they could afford to give him a little extra on his trade because they knew the trade-in was sold. We looked at about 20 other private sales in the meantime, and never got close to the same deal.

It takes patience, though- We started the process in May, and I think we took delivery in early October.

Rockin
01-19-2004, 16:54
We finally did find one. Stacie started looking for a trailer a year ago. We found a Charmac which is local to the area at a good price. We are now just waiting for it to be built. We got close to the line and had to get something started so it would be ready on time for the show season. We are comfortable with the price we got for the trailer.

ropinfool
01-19-2004, 18:42
As a former dealer of the brand you mention, I want to advise you to be very very diligent on your pre purchase inspection. They are a well built trailer, just the fit and finish is lacking (well it was when I was selling them). I never had any problems getting warranty work done, just wasn't pleased with the final QA. Good luck to you. Oh and if you are getting a LQ, it will be HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck. John

Heartbeat Hauler
01-20-2004, 06:00
Just to add my $.02 worth, check the brakes, wheel bearings and the spindle. Nothing like going down the road @ 65 mph and one or more wheels lockup due to a failed bearing. Not fun.
Also, there is a NADA book for used RVs and trailers. Might be worth an hour or two at the local library checking out value and options for your purposed trailer purchase.
Good luck and "May the horse be with you." ;)
JP

Rick T
02-16-2004, 08:43
I would add one more thing to the very good advice, above. Weigh the trailer! I've got a Sooner 3H LQ trailer and the empty weight is 8990 lbs, probably 13,500 when loaded. These horse trailers put a great deal of weight in the bed compared to an RV (just look at how far back the trailer wheels are compared with the average 5th wheel. The good news is that the weight of the horses is most over the rear axles, the bad news is that Sooner rates the hitch weight at 3100 lbs. empty.

Horse trailers definitely ride lower than RVs and the neck is much deeper in an LQ trailer than in a regular horse trailer. Watch your bed rail clearance. I had to raise my Sooner two inches. That, combined with the air suspension, gives me adequate margin.

Good Luck,
Rick T