PDA

View Full Version : Installing 7 pin trailer connection

HammerWerf
04-16-2004, 22:42
Folks,

I am in the process of installing a 7 pin RV plug on the back of the 1999 Suburban.

I have the Factory installed receiver hitch. I am running into interference between the wires from the plug and the hitch cross tube.
I also find there is not much surface available to mount the plug on.

How has anyone mounted this plug on their truck? I am at a loss at the moment.

Thanks for the help.

HammerWerf

tanker
04-17-2004, 02:05
I removed the left license lamp, made the hole larger and drilled and tapped the bumper for (4) #8-32 screws. Up out of the way, easy to work on. smile.gif

tanker
04-17-2004, 02:11
An easy way to enlarge the hole ;) , mark, drill and tap the (4) holes first, then take a piece of scrap steel 1/8" or 1/4" and bolt it to the rear inside of the bumper using the four screws. This will give the hole saw center pilot bit a guide until you cut through the bumper with the outer hole saw. smile.gif

MikeC
04-18-2004, 00:37
Reese makes a plastic box that m,ounts to the receiver cross tube and holds the plug. I was running into the same problem you are but I didn't feel like drilling and modding, boy that musta been an off day :D

I got one from the local trailer vender for around $7.

Check them out.

Mike

rlvelin
06-02-2004, 10:24
I had a plug mounted in an L bracket that hung from the bottom of the bumper, but it didn't take too long before that was destroyed. I cut a hole in the rear face of the bumper just below the black plastic trim on the left side and mounted it there since the left license plate lamp hole already had a 6 pin plug in it. My pickup camper cord would not reach to the right side license plate lamp and I believe there is supposed to be at least one license plate lamp to remain legal.