PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distributing Platform

Tom C.
12-02-2004, 13:00
I have a 95 C2500 that I am going to be putting a 5th wheel hitch in. The truck was originally ordered with all the goodies for towing. There is one item on the build sheet that the dealer said has to do with installing a hitch. It is a VR4-Weight Distributing Platform. I looked under the bed but don't see anything unusual. Can anyone tell me what this is and where it is located?

Thanks,
Tom C

tanker
12-02-2004, 16:10
Tom That should be a class IV or class 4 weight distributing hitch receiver at the rear below the bumper. Attached with 3 mounting nuts and bolts on each side, to the bottom frame flange. Should have a 2" X 2" square hole to insert a variety of hitches.
I don't think this would have anything to do with a 5th wheel hitch which mounts in the bed. All attachments for a 5th wheel should come with it and instructions for installation and use. smile.gif

Tom C.
12-02-2004, 18:45
Tom, that makes sense. It does have a receiver hitch on the back. When the service manager pulled up the build sheet for me he said it was some type of mounting plate for a 5th wheel type hitch! I had never heard of such a thing. Thanks for the info

Tom C.

Lawnboy
12-02-2004, 19:53
VR4 is the GM RPO (Regular Production Options) number for "Trailer Hitch: Weight Distributing Platform"

It is just that....your rear mounted trailer hitch reciever.

Any 5th wheel towing equipment would have to be installed aftermarket, as GM never offered provisions for them from the factory.

You can find your other RPO codes inside your glove box on the SPID (Service Parts IDentification) label.