PDA

View Full Version : FSD (PMD) replacement - abandon original in place?

97SubK2500
08-13-2005, 01:42
If my current problem does end up being the FSD, I will definitely go the remote install route using Mr. Kennedy's product.

My questions:

1. once I disconnect the original FSD wiring, can (should) I just leave it in place as a labor-saving step; and

2. if it's advisable to abandon the original FSD in place, any advice on how to leave it (connections covered, etc.)?

I may just go ahead and do this anyway, possibly locating the new FSD inside the cab, as member rjwest described in this forum some time ago. Assuming (big if) that I can do this before failure of the existing unit, could it serve as an emergency-only backup to the new, remote unit? Or, I could just pry open my wallet and have a brand-new spare in the glovebox.

As always, thanks for any shared insights.

--Ian

DA BIG ONE
08-13-2005, 02:43
Originally posted by 97SubK2500:
If my current problem does end up being the FSD, I will definitely go the remote install route using Mr. Kennedy's product.

My questions:

1. once I disconnect the original FSD wiring, can (should) I just leave it in place as a labor-saving step; and

2. if it's advisable to abandon the original FSD in place, any advice on how to leave it (connections covered, etc.)?

I may just go ahead and do this anyway, possibly locating the new FSD inside the cab, as member rjwest described in this forum some time ago. Assuming (big if) that I can do this before failure of the existing unit, could it serve as an emergency-only backup to the new, remote unit? Or, I could just pry open my wallet and have a brand-new spare in the glovebox.

As always, thanks for any shared insights.

--Ian Leave it, no need to cover connection for unit is no good, save the hassle!

You will use the origional connector from the unit to plug JK's harness into.

Another location to consider using JK's extended harness is;

Front leading edge of driverside wheelwell housing w/fins facing forward. The unit can be sealed some more w/silicone around the edges where the unit mounts to heatsink, "over screws eliminates them vibrating loose, common problem" .

Aryeh Levy
08-14-2005, 11:32
Would taking the FSD off the pump help cool the pump? it's right there in the valley, could probably be cooler?

Hubert
08-14-2005, 12:29
I don't think its a bad idea to give more area of pump to air help cool some. But its not necessary. The pump is cooled by the fuel. Whats not used for combustion recirculates to the tank.

Its mechanical and really more so quick temp changes are the enemy not necessarily heat.

Counter point being in the valley of the motor the FSD might help shield it some from radiant heat of the head on that side?????

I left mine on the pump to rest in peace where it died. I think most do the same due to the trouble of taking it off.

97SubK2500
08-14-2005, 14:37
Spent a while in the engine compartment this afternoon, planning the FSD disconnect and where to mount the new one.

The FSD and IP are both seriously buried in there! Time to pay the piper for A/C and emissions control, etc. I can see where the cable connects to the side of the FSD, and can definitely reach & disconnect what looks like a ground wire for the FSD.

I'm assuming that the new FSD with extended harness should hook to the existing input cable at a more convenient location than the side of the IP under all that "stuff".

Rookie questions: once the FSD cable is disconnected from the side of the unit,

(1) where does the cable go and

(2) is there a recommended method for snaking it back toward point of origin so allow more convenient connection to the extended FSD harness? I tried to trace it visually back along the valley between the cylinder banks, but am stumped as to which cable it is back near the fuel filter housing. ???

I am grateful to all that have provided advice so far, and remain amazed at DP members' generosity of spirit.

--Ian