PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info

diesel lover
06-27-2005, 15:36
HotDawg! I finally did somethin right. Bought my new '05 D/A SRW 3500 last week, under the same as employee discount and think i got a great deal as well as a great truck! It is loaded with all kinds of stuff inclucing the factory sun roof and the LT pkg eight foot bed and due. Now i need to find the right five'er (about 40') to complete the package. Reading this stuff gives me a thrill. (guy stuff) And considering all that the dealer put me through, it was worth every second and cent that I invested. Any suggestions on which direction to go in will be appreciated as the five'er won't be purchased for a little while.
:D

tanker
06-27-2005, 16:20
Great truck! We just love ours,(minus sunroof) pulls great, love the Allison. Shop around for your 5th wheel, look them all over. Travel Supreme, Holiday Rambler Presidential, and many other great coaches out there. See what you like and don't like, compare, go to campgrounds and ask people what they like and don't like about a certain model. RV shows are also good at comparing different models. One manufacturer will tell you why not to buy the competition, so visit all the ones you like. Good luck. ;)

OC_DMAX
06-27-2005, 17:21
There is a great RV forum at this link:

http://www.rv.net

With your 3500 SRW truck, you have a little more head room with respect to GVWR (compared to the 2500HD's). My suggestion to you is when trailer shopping, if you are shopping for a 5th Wheel in the 30 foot or longer category, start paying attention to the trailer pin weight and how that affects the truck GVWR. And don't necessarily believe the manufactures specs. Ask some questions over on the RV net about like trailers and pin weights.

Hope you enjoy the truck,
Alan

torque
07-04-2005, 11:07
Take a look at the Titanium 5th wheel line. They have a patent on their front end design. Instead of just a single overhang over the bed they have a double with the upper overhang over the back of the cab. This puts 5 additional feet of trailer over your truck and reduces the length behind you that you have to manuever. This makes a better aerodynamic profile too - like those add-on wind scoops.
I've one for more than 3 years now and I'm very satisfied so far.

diesel lover
07-08-2005, 08:12
Peoples, thank for the help. The rv.net site is nice. Some of the 5'ers on that one are super pricey. More than a regular motorhome. Give me some food for thought. Still don't know which hitch to use either. But soon will figure it out. :confused: thanks again! tongue.gif

BozDMAX
07-08-2005, 11:30
Quite happy with both trailer and Hitch in my signature.

I would replace them tomorrow with the same of both if something happened.

B&W recently redesigned their hitch plates to do a better job spanning the Chevy bed ridges and since the finish on my older hitch had some problems they gave me a new one. Even installed it for me while I waited.

I can pull out the "Companion" hitch used for my 5'er and be on the road with the gooseneck in about 10 minutes.

www.turnoverball.com/ (http://www.turnoverball.com/)

bamabadboy
07-09-2005, 02:39
If you intend to take any toys with you such as motorcycles or ATVs, look at what we call toy haulers. They have a drop down rear ramp with a garage. I had one made by K-Z Inc. Model was New Vision, 38' Sportster. When we got to our destination we converted the garage to a family room. Worked out very well. As for the fifth wheel hitch, whichever manufacturer you buy, go heavy. I've seen some hitches that were under rated for the load they were pulling. I'd recommend at least a 20k rating.

diesel lover
07-10-2005, 09:31
Well, been looking at 5'ers that we like and the Titanium model 32E37TS seems nice. Wondering if anyone is pulling one of these with the 3500 crew SRW? What kind of concerns do you have with this combo? Hicth? etc... :confused:

05 Chev 3500 D/A crew w/works
89 Chev 2500 6.2 ext cab 26 MPG traded for the 95
95 Chev 2500 ext cab 6.5 Turbo 4X4
84 Chev Suburban C 20 Gasser

saywhat
07-10-2005, 10:13
The 32E37TS should be a piece of cake for your truck.Dry weight is listed at 10,231 lbs. with the dry pin weight at 2,028 lbs. I

saywhat
07-10-2005, 10:44
The 32E37TS should be a piece of cake for your truck.Dry weight is listed at 10,231 lbs. with the dry pin weight at 2,028 lbs. I have pulled the 32E37DS Titanium with my 2500HD and could not tell any difference from pulling my 8500 lb. HR Alumascape with a 1600 lb. pin weight.The 32E37DS is listed at 9,624 and 1,757 at the pin,the one I pulled was fully appointed with fireplace and all other options.The fresh water tank is located very near the axles so should not add to the pin weight when full.I also have been searching really hard for a new fifth wheel that is put together with some common sense and quality control.Was really disgusted with the Hitch Hiker Discovery and II LS among a whole list of manufactures and models.Got it boiled down to either the Titanium or Travel Supreme.I think the Titanium would be a lot easier pulling versus almost anything out there in a comparable size.Have not seen everything out on the market as some are not available in this area so do not want to offend anyone.I do a lot of cold weather camping and need one to handle the job.