PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a K5

Coketruck
01-01-2004, 15:52
Hello,
I have an 88

tanker
01-01-2004, 16:59
Hi Jorge, I'm not sure about an 88 K-5 6.2NA, but a 95 6.5TD is rated to tow a trailer weighing 6000 pounds with the 3:42 axle ratio, and a tongue load of 750 pounds. with a 3:73 axle ratio it is 7000 pounds and 850 pounds tongue weight. GCWR "gross combined weight rating" truck and trailer is 12,000 pounds with the 3:42, and 13,000 pounds with the 3:73 axle. I don't know what terrain you will be towing in, ie; mountains etc. I would think you will be fine. I don't know what type of weight distributing hitches are available in Europe. Also what about trailer brakes? That would be a must if you want to stop safely. We will help you as much as we can from this side of the pond. smile.gif

ueckebes
01-01-2004, 17:09
hello coke truck,names jim i have 2 k5 blazers one is a 82 with a 6.5 repower [non turbo] 3.08 gears auto od trans, 31.10.50 -15 tires,runs great empty and up to about 2500lbs loaded hauling 5000lb trailer ok on flat highway sluggish in hills do not run in od if equip,[with any load] trans will constantly hunt through gears.next is ex military blazer,400 turbo trans,6.2hd engine,3.73 gears,32.11.50-15 tires,pulls 5000lb trailer fairly well. best advise 3,08 gears works trans to hard for pulling 5000lbs constantly 3.73 will do fine 3.42 fair,in any case stay out of od when loaded ,get extra trans cooler gave 50 bucks for mine ,and try to load trailer evenly as possible to much to hitch weight bad not enough worse.also advise trailer brakes on 5000lb trailer behind a blazer. hope this helps jim

Coketruck
01-02-2004, 10:16
Hello Tanker
Hello Jimmie

First of all thanks for your help.
I live in the Basque Country in the border of the Spain with France,and here are good flat roads& some hills for climbing too.
I know i would need to install a tranny cooler.The trans is a TH700R4.
I don,t know how are the car trailers in USA.Here are equiped with an inertia brake.

About the hitch,
when i bought the truck(I,m the third owner) it cames with the hitch,but i don,t know if this hitch cames from factory,or maybe it has been built for some smith around here.
It doesn,t appears in the truck title,so it,s ilegal to towing with it.I would need to contact with GM for inquiring to me if the truck cames with it ,so i could to legalize it.
However tomorrow i,ll take&post here a picture,maybe you could to know if these trucks cames with this hitch.It seems to be very solid & Strong.

Thanks again for your help.
Jorge.

[ 01-02-2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Coketruck ]

DmaxMaverick
01-03-2004, 13:24
Coketruck

The K5 I have (in my sig) has towed a lot heavier than I'll admit to (well above what you are considering). The weak links are tranny (700r4 in stock configuration) and the 10 bolt rear end.

Mine has a "kitted" 700r4 which has been flawless since the upgrade. It is set up to shift hard (real hard) and the torque converter can be locked any time. The best results for towing have been with the converter locked full time (except when stopped). The tranny temps (the real tranny killer) really stay under control. The hard shifting minimizes slipping during shifts, which makes a for poor comfort, but limits wear. It also has a large external cooler, inline (after) with the radiator cooler.

The 10 bolt, IMO, is barely sufficient for OEM tow ratings. I've replaced mine several times. They just "blew up". I have since upgraded to a 12 bolt 4.10 (1978 model) and have had flawless performance, even with an Auburn limited slip. Tire size is 33x12.50x15. With a 31" tire, a 3.73 would be about the same. A 3.42 with larger than 31" tires would be limited to flat ground with a heavy load (transfer case and U-joint killer).

You may have some issues with the transfer case if it is weak or maintained poorly.

Other than that, it should do very well, if you are not in a hurry, of course. Let her scream going up hills. The 6.2L doesn't mind at all running up hills against the governor. Just be sure to keep the cooling system healthy, and use a quality (OEM or Robert Shaw is good) 180

Coketruck
01-03-2004, 14:20
Hi DmaxMaverick
buff...what a dilemma.
It,s amazing how the most of the japannesse and european SUVs around here ,with his 4 cil Diesel engines and his independent susspension axles,are better for towing than these enormous trucks.
When i bought the Blazer,i thought that it should to be an autentic beast( Here a 2.5 liter engine is a big-size engine)Imagine a V-8 6.2....
But i,m discovering that is an extremely weak and delicate vehicle...
Maybe is not a good idea to towing with it.
Thanks.