PDA

View Full Version : Transfer-flow Diesel Tank

Brucec
12-15-2004, 16:23
Have the 70 gal in-bed transferflow USF diesel tank. Anyone hooked un A straight on - off switch to one of these?

tanker
12-15-2004, 18:11
I'm looking to get a Transfer-Flow in bed tank for our new truck, but would like to just have it on automatic fill, when main tank goes down to half, the transfer-Flow starts pumping into the main tank till its 3/4 full.
The bad part about a manual switch is this: We have a mechanic at work with a 75 gallon aluminum truck saddle tank mounted in the front of his bed with a manual switched electric fuel pump. Well three times he forgot and over flowed, once in a stone parking lot, once at home, and once at a Home-Depot. :rolleyes: At Home-Depot he was greeted by two fire trucks and two police cars plus a plenty of on lookers :rolleyes:
I think that I'd forget and have my cup runneth over. Hope this works out for you. smile.gif

MIKE WIENER
12-15-2004, 21:59
I have a 75gal in bed. What i did was taped into the filler hose. the outer part is the vent hose the iner is the filler. maid up a section of tubing that fit the vent hose taped two fitings in it one above the other. fill on top return on bottom. flip swith on to start the pump if you forget and tank fills it just pumps back to aux tank. 12volt ign hot so it will only pump when truck is runing. Also put a vacume brake at exit line of tank so it can not sifin. This was picked up at west marian. The pump i used is AC Delco15161174

crew84
12-16-2004, 08:34
I bought the Transfer Flow 30 gal Tool box/ Tank in bed. It has an automatic electric pump system that transfers about 2-3 gallons at a time as the main tank empties. The factory gauge reads the average of the two. Transfer Flow has a gauge/computer that monitors and regulates that transfer of fuel.

Chris Curran
12-16-2004, 11:20
Has anyone bought/installed a Midship Replacement Tank from Transfer Flow?

http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_tank_0.html

letsgo
12-20-2004, 13:22
Transfer flow fuel pump moves the fuel from one tank to the next in increments of 2 to 3 gals. at a time automatically.

Low fuel gauge accuracy is + or - 3 gals.

When new. If the fuel flow times out and indicates an error the software program is probably faulty not the pump.

what a difference 76 gallons makes when travelling, your stops are not based on truck stops any more, just drive until you are ready to stop.

good luck

Phil Holmen
12-21-2004, 14:10
In my truck I have the aux. fuel tank plumbed just like the earlier trucks, with the tank selector switch and solednoid in the frame rail to toggle between tanks, I even have a guage in the aux. tank. Works real well, just have it plumbed in behind the lift pump. Not sure how that would work in a newer truck...

rickdlance
12-26-2004, 12:44
I just have the transfer pump. I also have it on a switched source. I put a Radio Shack 12volt dc "dinger" on it. They have several differant ones. I went with the loudest one. I run my stock tank down to 3/4 and turn the pump on. I will shut it off at about 7/8, the dinger is anoying. I have found foaming is an issue if you let it get any lower. Has anyone else noticed this?

Markwnc
12-30-2004, 05:45
I have the Transfer-Flow 45 gal. replacement tank on my 01 2500 HD Crew. This is what GM should have to begin with. With the short bed I didn't want to give up the room.

Cavalier
01-11-2005, 15:34
I have a 53 gal custom tank from KSH Fuel Products of Lake Havasu City AZ. The tank is tied into the stock fuel gage and the truck runs directly from that tank at the flip of one switch. The same switch switches the fuel gage also. The tank is aluminum and is mounted below my tool box in the front of the bed with 1/2 " clearance between to two. Although a little pricy ($800+installed) this is the best system I've seen anywhere.

rickdlance
01-12-2005, 07:58
Cavalier, my dealer mechanic told me that altering the fuel lines in any way shape or form would void my warranty. Have you had any problems or heard of this?

jcummins
01-12-2005, 08:41
Before I learned what to do and not do, I had a tank installed, flip a switch, solenoid switched the feed to aux tank. I ran into air problems and pickup problems with low fuel in aux tank, and finally the solenoid failed on the feed line from the aux tank. Result, feed from the aux (which was near empty) returned to the full main tank. Had whole back of truck covered in diesel. Took selenoid out of the loop on my back laying in diesel next to the interstate. I now have line running to the filler neck and transfer by pump. Mike Wiener has the right answer with the second line. I didn't think of that when I switched over how I handle the aux tank. Have a light on the dash instead.

Cavalier
01-12-2005, 11:52
Rick, I have not heard of anything of what you mentioned. I'm also not sure what "altering of fuel lines" were made on the installation.

justforme
01-12-2005, 20:04
iv'e been running a 25gal aux tank in the bed tank with an electric pump plumbed into the fill neck with a return line since i got the truck in 01 and never had a problem.

additionally i use to fuel up other diesel stuff that i have.

i took it out yesterday and it will be going into the 05 next week

tanker
01-13-2005, 02:55
You must have a feed and a return from main tank to your aux tank for proper operation, along with a proper check valve to prevent siphoning from aux to main. ;)