PDA

View Full Version : Juice vs The Grapevine

Sneaks
01-01-2004, 19:37
Just returned to San Diego from San Francisco via I-5 towing my 5th wheel that weighs just under 9,000 lbs. Not the first time with this rig, but the first time with the Attitude/Juice addition set at a conservative level 1. What a remarkable contrast from previous trips!

I drove on Jan 1, with few trucks and relatively little traffic. With few minor traffic caused exceptions, I was able to drive virtually the entire distance in cruise control. Not only that, the infamous 6-7% Grapevine grade from Grapevine to Fort Tejon was the ONLY time the Allison shifted out of overdrive AND IT ALWAYS MAINTAINED THE SET SPEED OF 65!

EGT's occasionally flirted with 1250 degrees, worse case, boost hit 20 occasionally, and the fan clutch cut in about the last 1-2 miles. Otherwise the grade was a non-event. Tow/Haul mode all the way.

The Juice exceeded all my expectations. Now if I could only wipe the grin off my face! :D :D :D

Ned
01-03-2004, 07:21
Hi Sneaks; Also thinking of installing the Juice/Attitude and appreciate the post. Are you running stock exhaust? What was the fuel mileage on your previous trips compared to being Juiced? Any comparisons would be helpful in my making a decision.
Thanks Ned

Sneaks
01-03-2004, 08:13
Ned, I have the stock exhaust system. As far as fuel mileage, I think I lost just under 1/2 MPG with the Juice. It's possible the wind was against me this trip - it certainly was going north on Christmas day through a torrential rainstorm and headwinds 20-30 mph. On that leg I got 12.1 mpg, manually calculated.

My usual pre-Juice exclusively towing, all freeway, fuel stop to fuel stop at about 63 mph averaged 12.96 mpg. This trip going south it was 12.45. Could be wind, lead foot, whatever - only time and a few thousand more miles towing will give me an accurate comparison between pre and post Juice.

By the way, I bought the ATS aluminum Attitude overhead console mount and though it's less convenient to read and needs the 3' extension cable to mount, it looks bitchin. I got it with the two extra switches mounted (same price) but dunno yet what I'll use them for. Normally I only check EGT's going up grades so it's not a big problem at all. The Edge mount is great if yer in the first 36,000 mile warranty though. Easily removed for warranty work. The ATS is slightly less convenient to remove.

http://home.pacbell.net/sneaks2/atsjuice.jpg

Note for the DIY'ers: The Attitude does not press fit into the ATS mount though once in, it press fits into the overhead console. No instructions are included but luckily I had a spare Attitude cover (front and back) to experiment with. One has to remove the 4 screws holding the Attitude together, remove the two halves and reassemble them in the aluminum mount taking care not to disturb the exposed circuit board. The clearances are that tight!

[ 01-03-2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Sneaks ]

Ned
01-03-2004, 12:33
Sneaks, My truck only has 4,000 miles todate so I am concerned about ease of removeal for any possible warranty work, the ATS mount realy looks good though. We went on a 1200 mile trip last October and averaged 14.2 mpg with speed set at 65 mph I thought that was great. The truck pulled great as we had made the same trip every year and made my old 6.5 look bad. Your mileage drop is about what I have been reading on the DP. Some say they have an increase in mpg then others say they have a decrease, makes a person confused. Where did you get the ATS aluminum mount?
Ned

Sneaks
01-03-2004, 17:44
The mount is available through Advance Turbo Systems (http://www.atsturbo.com/index.php). You have to call to order. $45.

When all is said and done, I doubt Juice itself does anything to increase or decrease mpg in and of itself. It's all in the driver's hands (or feet) :D

Console overhead mounting cost me about 45 minutes total, including Juice. Keep the old cover, slip the Attitude into the overhead console and put the old cover back. Hide the cable, remove the Juice and explain the pyro cable away as a "future EGT gauge install." Might cost you an hour total before arriving at your dealership with a virginal look on your face....

Ned
01-04-2004, 11:24
Sneaks, thanks for all the information.
Ned