PDA

View Full Version : brakes and hitches

kojo
06-28-2005, 11:53
Hi,
I have 1995 2500 chevrolet longbed pickup with 6.5 turbodiesel and i'm intrested about rv's these questions may be stubip but i used 2 hours to searching answers and i couldn't find them so i ask here:
1- are all rv brake systems electrical or is there some mechanical models too?
2- how that electrical brake works, how it knows how much apply trailer brakse etc
3- does anybode know are these 5th wheels or gooseneck hitchs alloved in finland?

tanker
06-28-2005, 16:42
Hi Kojo, I'll try. Yes most all RV trailers are now electric brakes. Years ago some had hydraulic surge brakes, but I have not seen any in a long time. Some rental utility trailers still have the hydraulic surge brakes.
The truck must have an electric brake controller installed in the cab, and wired to the trailer via a plug type connector near the hitch.
There is a pendelum in the controller that sences when you apply your service (foot) brake, and applys voltage to the magnets in the trailer brake drums, which pull the brake shoes against the brake drum.
Tekonsha, makes electric brake components. Also try etrailer.com
Hope this helps you.
I don't know the laws in Finland, or Europe for that matter on 5th wheel and Goose neck trailers.
Check with the motor vehicle ministry. smile.gif

BozDMAX
06-29-2005, 03:15
Kojo - in regards to Q#2, I will add that some brake controllers rely on a mechanical/electical interface rather than an inertia sensing pendulum to do the job of applying varying levels of braking action.

In effect, they are like a volume knob on a radio, but controlled by your foot when you apply the vehicle brakes. jordonbrake.com is probably the best know example and works very, very well.

TJ Moose
06-29-2005, 08:39
I've used the Tekonsha Prodigy electric brake controller - and love it. I guess there is some type of laser sensor inside the unit that varies the voltage going to the trailer brakes. So - you set the controller to just under wheel lockup for the weight you're pulling, and it brings the voltage up and down as needed depending on how fast you're stopping. Its very smooth and controllable. Most secure I've ever felt towing my 18" flatbed tandem axle trailer - usually with a trail Jeep on it.

moondoggie
06-30-2005, 05:27
Good Day!

[i]

kojo
06-30-2005, 11:49
thanks to all for replies, i have done lot of research in these days and i have found our local regulations and some solutions, i think brakesmart controller could pass our local recuirements (but even it don't have load sensing option) here in finland is law that says how much braking force may differ betveen truck and trailer, etc jordan could be another choice, but before i order anything must ask from motor vehicle administration centre. hitches is another issue.. from 2000 they must be eu approved, but there is possibly to get some special right to use non approved hitch.. this is very intresting thing becouse here in finland i haven't never seen 5th wheel trailer pulled by pickup truck. how about rest europe, have anybody sawd?

HowieE
07-04-2005, 12:05
As moondoggie said "The Jordan-type controller is arguably the best". All current brake controller except the Jordan are electronic controllers of one type or another. Most are the pendulum or inertial type and give some level of proportional braking to a lighter trailers, others are computer driven timed stopping and are death traps. If you are pulling a trailer with good brakes or one with 3 axles the problem with electrical controller is the trailer becones the input to the braking system and you lose control through the foot pedal unless you release the brakes all togeather.

The Jordan is a directly coupled system to the brake arm and reacts only to the movement of the brake arm and thus id a truely proportional system.

Now for the problem with GM installations. The Jordan looks for a total cable travel of 1in. The way the GM steering column is supported it does not allow the Jordan cable to be attached high enough on the brake arm to produce 1in. total cable travel. If you look at my web site below you will see how I designed a pulley to give a 2 to 1 ratio and reduce the cable travel into the controller to 1in.