PDA

View Full Version : Juiced: In what level do you tow?

SparkyTX
04-30-2004, 04:54
Okay, finally juiced my baby last night. Didn't think my smile could get any bigger driving this thing. Man was I wrong!

Anyway, I have the regular juice (40/60/75/90). I have a fiver on order that weighs 8,000 dry and carries a GVW of 11,500. I currently have the tow/haul set to L2 and the regular mode set to L4 for tooling around town.

In what level do you tow? How much are you towing? I have a stock tranny and want better response and power while towing, but don't want to hurt or even threaten my baby.

What is your advice, oh great ones?!?

jcummins
04-30-2004, 10:06
I'm 22000 GCWR, I do as you L2 towing, L4 when not. If I was you, to avoid transmission issues over time, I would leave it at that. I actually think L2 when towing does quite well.

cowboywildbill
04-30-2004, 11:57
I agree, I run mine the same L2&L4..I have been juiced now for 32,000 miles and 2 years. I have 43,000 on our truck and no tranny issues to date. I just changed my Trans filter a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't anything on the magnet at all. When I put on the deep pan and switched to transynd last spring, I didn't have any debri in the pan either. I think if I were hurting it I would have noticed something in the pan or on the magnet. My trans temp never runs over 200 in the hot summer day's when towing. I have never limped it either. I have heard that in L4 over time it can be hard on some of the steels in the clutch packs. Some of the forums have stated that the hardest thing on the trans is powerjacking and when you are locked up in 5th at wide open throttle on L4. So I don't power jack mine or keep my foot in it after 65 MPH. The other thing is try not to lug it if you are towing and you are locked in 5th say like pulling 15 psi of boost and under 1800 rpm. If you keep the rpm's up over 1800 while in 5th,then you should be fine. Mine is an 02 and doesn't have the OD lock out. But if you have the OD lockout, then when your under 1800 just use the OD lockout. You should be fine, however "BE VERY CAREFUL OF ONE THING"!
The smile that L4 leaves on your face after tromping on it, MAY TAKE SEVERAL HOURS TO SUBSIDE! Good luck and enjoy.

sonofagun
05-04-2004, 09:56
Sparky,

Level 2 towing level 3 around town. Been that way through 2 trucks with no problems. I wouldn't go above level 2 for towing. I go to Utah mountains from Texas and rarely leave 5th gear once I'm up to speed. Be sure you install an EGT guage to monitor temps. Don't go over 1275 degrees for any appreciable time.

Regards,
Bob

motovet
05-04-2004, 21:06
My towable is at 10K loaded. Been using the 75 level for a couple years now with no troubles. Having the OD lockout keeps the temps down on some occasions though.