PDA

View Full Version : Electric over hydraulic trailer brakes?

Nevada Hauler
01-02-2004, 14:00
Does anybody have experience with recent vintage electricly driven hydraulic trailer brake systems?
Which controller works well with these systems?
Which system works best with disc brake systems?

DonG
01-02-2004, 16:23
Nevada Hauler,

I am not sure what you mean by "electricly driven hydraulic trailer brake systems", but I will tell what I am using.

I have hydraulic disc brakes on my trailer. They are made by [MasterBrake]. They are activated by a controller in the tow vehicle just like all the other common magnetic drum brakes that most trailers have.

I have found that the Tekonsha Prodigy does not work properly with these brakes. The Jordan Ultra does work fine, but I have no personal experence with it.

I use a controller made by Master Brake that works well with this system. It cost a bunch more, but provides a lot of additional data about the quality of the system as I travel.

I am sold on the hydraulic disc brakes. I had quite a bit of problems with the magnetic drum brakes on my previous trailer, but not with my current set-up. And if I need to stop in a big hurry, this system will get it done NOW.

Don

HowieE
01-02-2004, 17:12
Don G

Were is the transsion from the electronic controller to the hydrolic system made?

I assume this is done somewhere on the trailer, but would like your discription. Also what powers the hydrolic system to generate the application force and how is that force modulated to track the output voltage of the controller?

DonG
01-02-2004, 22:28
Hi HowieE,

I have an RV that I use this system on so I have 12 volt batteries mounted up front in the lower belly of the trailer. The hydraulic/electric system is mounted in the next compartment to the batteries, about 3 feet away. There is a heavy (6 awg.) wire from the positive terminal to the unit and back to the negative terminal.

The control voltage from the tow vehicle controls the amps from the batteries to the unit. This power drives a DC motor that applies pressure to the master cylinder of the unit. From there the hydraulic system is just like a car.

The power to the unit is driven in both directions to also release the force on the master cylinder. This switching is done inside the unit since the amps clearly flow from the positive to negative terminals.

I hope I did the unit justice with my layman's description. I do know the system works as fast as you can tap and release the brakes. I feel no delay in the trailer braking or releasing.

Don

Viking
01-03-2004, 05:26
The system I looked at consisted of a hydraulic reservoir,pump,electric motor and the associated lines to the brakes. (All contained on the trailer). The only connection to the tow vehical is your standard electrical plug. The signal from the brake controller is sensed by the electric motor which spools up and down to power the hydraulic pump that supplies the pressure. I am told that my Jordan controller would work with this system. There are probably several different systems on the market just check with a few trailer parts companies.

DonG
01-03-2004, 18:43
Viking,

I think my system is very much like you described except for the hydraulic pump. I believe the electric motor in my unit drives the piston for the master cylinder in and out to create and release pressure on the brake fluid.
However, the owners manual is not very specific.

Don

Nevada Hauler
01-07-2004, 00:57
Don,
Thank you for posting your experience with the Masterbrake system. It looks like it might be the ultimate trailer braking system. The end of surge brakes for my boat trailers is near.